May 04, 2024, 02:20:48 AM

News:

Fatboy fork oil change

Started by ANNIEFATS, November 10, 2008, 01:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANNIEFATS

I have never changed the fork oil yet, on any bike.  My question is, do I have to remove the handlebars
to get the caps out?  The service manual doesn't reference this, but I assuME the caps will not clear the handlebar,
due to the low riser height.  I hopefully will be changing all my fluids before putting the bike away, but some
renovations, and a deer hunting trip, have put me behind a little.
Thanks
Todd
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't!

PanCityTom

I have a Heritage and I think we have the same handlebar/riser setup.   If you buy the special socket, you don't need to remove the handlebars.   Also order the hex drain plugs at the same time.   They probably aren't going to come off with a screwdriver.   I gripped mine with some pliers to break them loose.
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=14B41F0A-2E55-4A5D-BE0B-0F80F9735AF4

04Fatboy

I did mine without removing the bars, used a box end wrench on the caps, there is clearance.  The screws will come out with one of the little hand held impact drivers.  Make sure you have the correct bit  and that it is seated well in the screw, preload the driver and give it solid shot with a hammer.
Don

Faast Ed

Not a real lot of threads on those caps, you should not have any problem leaving the bars on.
Open end or box end wrench.

Do not over fill the fluid. An extra ounce or two will stiffen up your ride too much (at least it did on mine).

08 Heritage
≡Faast Ed>

crazybastid83

I have all the proper tools since it is my trade. But you probably will get away with removing the fork caps with a crescent wrench. I use an impact driver with a philips head, but before I use it, I try to break it open with a pair of vise grips, then use the impact driver.  Using the vise grips will help to break it, and you are just gumming up the exterior of the screw, not the philips head. Even using an impact driver can strip out the philips head, but not if loosened first with vise grips.

ANNIEFATS

Thanks for the useful info guys.
:beer:
Todd
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't!