May 08, 2024, 08:52:17 PM

News:

CAMSHAFT IDENTIFICATION HELP

Started by Randy P, March 12, 2017, 10:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy P

March 12, 2017, 10:25:39 AM Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:42:13 AM by Randy P
Just bought a 1996 Sportster motor its been stroked and has thunder storm heads. I am tearing down and cleaning it up. Its been setting couple of years. I am trying to find out what modifications have been made. The guy I got it from did not know much about it.I cant find any information on these cam numbers 25441 3-25. figured someone would recognize them any help appreciated.

aswracing

That's the SE .536 lift grind, bottom one in this table:

You're looking at the #3 cam. The others are marked 1-25, 2-25, and 4-25

This has been an enormously popular grind over the years.

You have to watch the piston to valve clearance on the exhaust side when using that grind, notice the high TDC lift figure. Lots of guys have had contact issues when used with stock pistons and their smallish valve pockets. It's generally OK with aftermarket pistons though.

The 91-99 version (what you have) was discontinued a few years back. The 86-90 version (4-speeds) was discontinued several years before that.

Randy P

Thanks for the info.You done so well with the camshaft. Have another Question.  I have flat top pistons with these markings on bottom. I am searching the numbers but no luck. Cant really read the one piston. Maybe you can tell me or direct me to someone who might know.Thanks again.

Randy P

Figured them out they are JE through Axtell sales. :chop: