Which Handlebar Audio control Interface to use?

Started by Brew61, March 15, 2017, 11:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brew61

Going to be installing handle bar audio controls on my Road King and figured on using the Metra ASWC-1. But before I go out and buy it and spend time installing it I figured I might as well ask if anyone else is using one of these and how reliable are they.

If your not using this one which one are you using, and how dependable has it been?

Thanks
Bruce
2004 Road King, 110 with S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,HPI 55 mm Thr

Rsw

I tried putting one of those on my street glide couldn't get it to work ended up using the biketronics one but I don't think you can use it on a rk. If you want the mertra one I have it's yours for the price of shipping I'm sure someone on here can tell you how to wire it

UltraNutZ

They work well and have installed many of them. 
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Brew61

Thanks RSW & UltraNutz

RWS what exactly was wrong with the unit? Where you able to figure it out? Did you buy it new and just were not able to get it programmed?

Bruce

Rsw

Yes I bought it New I just couldn't figure out how to wire it in it sounds like ultra knows how to do it. I got frustrated and ran out of patience

DGlide04

Brew,

I installed the Metra ASWC-1 on my 04 King with the OEM radio controls, not too hard if you follow the wiring instructions and take your time.  I can post a few photos of the installation if you'd like to see the final product.

Thanks.

Brew61

Brew61

DGlide04 that would be great. That is exactly what I am doing. I think I have the wiring all worked out as seen in my other post.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=96793.0

Pictures are always good. 

Thanks Bruce

[attach=0]

Hossamania

What did you do to that poor RoadKing?     
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

DGlide04

Quote from: Brew61 on March 17, 2017, 11:20:06 AM
DGlide04 that would be great. That is exactly what I am doing. I think I have the wiring all worked out as seen in my other post.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=96793.0

Pictures are always good. 

Thanks Bruce

[attach=0]

Bruce,

Still trying to dig my way out to the bike after 24" snow this week, I'll get the photos posted this morning.

Gary

DGlide04

Bruce,

Here are the photos of the set up on my '04 Road King with a detachable faring.  I installed the HD OEM handlebar controls and wired them to Deutsch connectors, one for right and one for the left switch.  the other end of the Deutsch connector was wired to the corresponding wire to the Metra unit.  It makes the removal of the faring a whole lot easier if you want to ride with no fairing and the windshield or no faring or w/s.

It took a bit of time as I ran the wires inside the handlebars but it was worth in in the end.

Gary

Brew61

Hossamania it's still a Road King but one with many options. I have everything setup as quick release and I can change the look in minutes. Which I do during the year depending what mood I'm in. When the wife rides with me on long rides, she likes to be comfortable so it is fully dressed then. Just around town its not.

Thats what is nice about a King you can have those options.

Bruce

[attach=0]

Brew61

Gary

Thanks for the pictures, mine is also set up the same way. I also did the wires inside the bars when I installed the 12.5 Chubby's. I am going to use a 12-pin connector instead of one for each side but that's the only difference.

I am going to be taking the whole front end off next month to install Legends mono tubes, so that's when I also plan installing my Audio controls.

What fairing did you go with? I am running a Reckless. I bought just the shell and mounts and did my own stereo. I also modified their mounts because I did not like how they had the fairing sitting on the bike. I also ditched their shield and tried a few and ended up with a Klock Werks.

Bruce

DGlide04

Bruce,

My faring is a Woody's that was set up for a stereo, but I added my own high output Sony head unit and 4 Arc Audio speakers.  The shield that came with the faring was replaced with a recurved shield that looked and deflected the wind better.

Good Luck with your project, sounds like you have your hands full for the next month or two.  Let us know how it turns out.

Gary

ricktherocket

The ASWC-1 works great for me, the instructions can be a little confusing when trying to set it up but if you call the company they will walk you right through it.
2009 Ultra Classic

Brew61