May 03, 2024, 08:40:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stage 3 HD cam in a Stage 4 build?

Started by spook, March 16, 2017, 05:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spook

In talking with the local HD wrench a topic was broached about substituting a stage 3 cam in a HD stage 4 build with the intent of moving the torque curve to the left. In my riding, I rarely exceed 4500 RPM but want great torque from 2000-4500 RPM. The exhaust will be original CVO mufflers with 2.5 Fullsac  wrapped cores and most likely a jackpot head pipe.  What are your thoughts on this proposed build, assuming a non HD cam is not an option at this point?  Thanks in advance for your input.

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

spook

Ok. Thanks. Maybe 2 inch would be more appropriate. 

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

spook

Huh?  All input is appreciated...negative or positive. Thanks for the replies.

rigidthumper

I had asked a dumb question, and realized it after posting- thus the embarrassed "nevermind". Looks like you're going after a warranty build. The legal tuners aren't very adaptable to switching components. (Limited adjustability to keep the EPA happy)
To the original question, The 498 cam (stg3 kit) would make more torque sooner,than the 515 cam from the stage 4 kit, but it doesn't take full advantage of the CNC ported heads of the stage 4 kit. The STG4 kit leans to the right, and works better in a range you'll never see (4500 up)
You may be happier getting a stage 2 torque cam and a tune, or just waiting for the aftermarket cams to show up, as there will be choices that work better than stock in low-mid range, or mid to upper end,  or red line specials. There are more than a few guys grinding/beta testing M8 cams of all flavors/ranges.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

metaliser

The woods M8 222 cam looks real good, I think Jamie has it posted and it make a lot of low end tq. as well as great mid. If I had a 107 M8 this would be the cam to go too imo, the 114 could use the M8 999.

spook

Here is the deal.  My dealer will stand behind the warranty if all HD internals are used.  A TTS tuner will be used in the tune.  The exhaust change to a non cat headpipe and modified mufflers is also covered by THIS dealer.  They draw the line at an after market cam.  I will be using adjustable push rods so if the stage 3 cam falls short it won't be a big deal to change to the stage 4 cam. After warranty is not an issue, and by then the aftermarket will be a bit more settled, I can always go to a more efficient cam design. The wrench doing the build when questioned about head/cam/throttle body relationship felt pretty confident that the TTS tuner will allow him the get a good torque curve where I want it and that the larger throttle body will give much improved throttle response.  I guess I am willing to see what happens with this build and modify as needed from there. Thanks for the input and advice.

PoorUB

IMO, you just don't swap out cams when you have a complete build in place. Speaking in generalities, a  stg 4 cam will probably need more compression than a stg  3 cam.  If you do the build as a stg4, then decide the swap to a stg 3 cam you will need to lower compression too, different pistons, or more head volume.

If you want to go into specific part combinations then the answers can be less general.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

spook

Thanks for that input.  I will get with my mechanic on Tuesday and broach the compression issue vs cam selection.  Appreciate the reply.

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

spook

117. Talked to Steve at Fulsac and he recommended the 2 inch baffles with screens for a torque build.

sfmichael

Quote from: spook on March 19, 2017, 06:59:20 PM
117. Talked to Steve at Fulsac and he recommended the 2 inch baffles with screens for a torque build.

right...114 to 117...I was gonna say 2.0 - 2.25 would be what you want for max torque
Colorado Springs, CO.

spook

Ok, posted this on the CVO board but just a brief update.  Just got the preliminary results from my all HD internals stage 4 with stage 3 cam build.  I have no idea if the results are decent or not per dyno results but they are what they are for now.  I have not a clue on how to post dyno sheets or such so just a few numbers.  The bike turned 125.6 Hp and 128.6 lbs of torque.  The numbers indicate a 100+ lbs of torque from 2200 RPM and carry over 120 lbs to 5300 RPM.  That is from a Superflow SAE corrected horsepower at the wheel.  What all that means I have no idea. The bike has a jackpot headpipe, 2 inch fullsac baffles, heavy breather aircleaner and was tuned with a TTS system.  Frankly I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet so can't really tell you much.  As far as the numbers go I don't know what to think yet.  I will ride it for awhile, see how it matches my riding style on a HD and go from there.  Most likely when I am sure the bike isn't going to grenade I will think about an after market cam and retune.  Just a quick update for what it is worth. 

happyman

Quote from: spook on April 08, 2017, 08:05:56 AM
Ok, posted this on the CVO board but just a brief update.  Just got the preliminary results from my all HD internals stage 4 with stage 3 cam build.  I have no idea if the results are decent or not per dyno results but they are what they are for now.  I have not a clue on how to post dyno sheets or such so just a few numbers.  The bike turned 125.6 Hp and 128.6 lbs of torque.  The numbers indicate a 100+ lbs of torque from 2200 RPM and carry over 120 lbs to 5300 RPM.  That is from a Superflow SAE corrected horsepower at the wheel.  What all that means I have no idea. The bike has a jackpot headpipe, 2 inch fullsac baffles, heavy breather aircleaner and was tuned with a TTS system.  Frankly I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet so can't really tell you much.  As far as the numbers go I don't know what to think yet.  I will ride it for awhile, see how it matches my riding style on a HD and go from there.  Most likely when I am sure the bike isn't going to grenade I will think about an after market cam and retune.  Just a quick update for what it is worth.

got to be a gret ride