May 05, 2024, 02:10:10 PM

News:

New Sportster running rough?

Started by stro1965, April 23, 2009, 06:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stro1965

Not sure how to describe this to make you understand what I mean...

Mama's new Sporty runs awesome when it's under throttle, accelerating.  Seems to almost be starving for fuel or cutting out when I am maintaining low speed through the neighborhood.  I'd say at, maybe, 5-10% throttle?  Just runs rough in that "zone".

My Ultra does it too under similar conditions, but not nearly as pronounced.  Right now it's stock with Cycle Shack slip-ons, I'm wondering if it's needing some fuel.  Is this a Sportster thing?

PC_Hater

What gear are you in?
The new rubber mount sportsters have surprisingly tall gearing.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

stro1965

It'll happen in any gear.  Not lugging.  Just cruising to maintain speed is a pain.  I'm going to pull the Cycle Shacks back off and re-install the factory muffs, see if it smoothes back out.

andyxlh

hello mate
if you had a carb I'd say the idle jet was too small of the mixture set too lean, but you have fuel injection, eh? I know nothing about FI, but as it improved with the more restrictive stock muffler I would say that the FI has not been adjusted or is not auto adjusting for the increased fuel flow required at low revs with the unrestrictive cycle shack exhaust. when you change the exhaust on a carby bike you tend to go up a size with the jetting, but I have n o idea how to do this with the FI
also how is the air filter, not clogged? guess it is new!
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

stro1965

Well, the general consensus seems to be that it's OK to change exhaust only on the newer EFI bikes, that the stock ECM will adjust as necessary. 

All I know is that the bike runs rough with Cycle Shacks so I'm going to switch back to stock muffs to see if that smoothes it back out.  If it does, it clearly needs a Power Commander or something else to compensate for the very open free-flowing Cycle Shacks.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

stro1965

96FLSTF

Hey Stro,
Wife's 05 sporty was carbed so I can't offer any intelligent answers except maybe before you spend extra bucks on a PC or even a T-Max, you might wanna check out Nightrider XiED deals. It'll at least make it run cooler.
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

stro1965

Well, I had some free time this afternoon so I switched back to the stock muffs.  Same story.  Maybe very slightly improved but, more likely, probably just not as noticeable because it's not as loud.  I think I'm going to ride it to the dealer tomorrow and ask them if I can ride a different Sporty, see if it's the same way.  I'm thinking that it's just a Sportster thing.

PC_Hater

My SO has a UK-spec 2008 1200 Nightster.
That has no problems at all. A delight to ride.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Panzer

O7' EFI here and no problem.
Let us know what the dealer finds if anything.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Coasty

Quote from: stro1965 on April 29, 2009, 06:54:37 AM
Well, the general consensus seems to be that it's OK to change exhaust only on the newer EFI bikes, that the stock ECM will adjust as necessary. 

All I know is that the bike runs rough with Cycle Shacks so I'm going to switch back to stock muffs to see if that smoothes it back out.  If it does, it clearly needs a Power Commander or something else to compensate for the very open free-flowing Cycle Shacks.

I disagree about the stated consensus, I have worked on many HD EFI sportys and have determined that one bike may be fine while the other sucks canal water.  It is all trial and mainly error when dealing with EFI sportys.  Just be prepaired either use a fuel package or an XiED from Nightrider. 
Coasty