April 27, 2024, 11:16:02 AM

News:

cam ID

Started by cosmiccowboy, April 23, 2009, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmiccowboy

need some help identifying my cam. on the face of the gear at 12:00 there is a F and at 6:30 the number 1, no other marks I can see. it's out of a 47el. I would like to reuse this cam as it is in good shape but I want something with a stock grind nothing radical. thanks

cosmiccowboy

Here is a photo of the cam, maybe that will help iding it.  CC

Sargehere

Let me suggest you turn the cam over 180 degrees and take another photo to post, to give us a look at the business end: the cam lobes. One of us who knows can tell in a second if it's a stock cam (pointy lobes, basically) or some monster, high lift, long-duration thing (wide, flat tops tops to the lobes; again, basically).  'Looks like a stock cam, so far.
--Sarge, Fla.
F.O.G. Member
AMCA #607

cosmiccowboy

Sargehere

Good. You made me go out into my parts stash and look. Makes yours look pretty close to that: I have a stock Knuckle cam in front of me. The check is this: with a micrometer, check to see if the overall height of one the of cam lobes is 1.220 inches. That's by putting a mic all the way from the bottom to the top of a cam lobe, "longways," in the direction a pushrod would point through the cam. 
The way cams were "re-worked" was to take off some of the height, making them of longer duration (wider topped). Because an equal amount was taken from the back of the cam lobe, the difference was just taken up with lifter adjustment. "High lift" meant even more was taken off the back of the lobe than the top (valve open) giving an even bigger sum difference in lift from the back (where lifter adjustment was made) and fully open, 180 degrees away.
Anyway, if you have about 1.220" of lobe, it's probably a stock Knuckle cam.
Pans cams were different geometry.

Here's a stock Knuckle cam in an old-fashioned Starrett 1-to-2 inch micrometer. Equals 1.220 inches.
Hope this helps you.
--Sarge, Fla.
F.O.G. Member
AMCA #607

cosmiccowboy

Thanks for the help, it miced out at just over 1.22 so its a good chance it's stock. Its the only cam that came in the box of parts so I'll install it and hope.  CC