April 28, 2024, 02:46:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

couple of questions

Started by 53Pan66shovel, November 10, 2008, 02:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

53Pan66shovel

i still have a massive amount of oil comming from my front exhaust pushrod cover anyone ever have this problem? im running an s&s oil pump when its cold it dont do it but soon as it heats up is when the oil starts sprayin all over the cam cover

dave_9113

Have you replace upper push rod tube O-ring?

dave

stroker800

Did you have the heads off?  If so ,,,you mite have not aligned the head gasket properly for the oil return passage down the cyl....If thats fine,,,, you might be over oiling the front head. I have had that problem myself....Could one of the rockers be plugged on the end and just filling the head too fast?????? There are alot of possibilities with pumps and cases......
Dave

53Pan66shovel

i replaced all the o rings as in the corked ones and the one in the push rod tube also

fourthgear

Are you sure it the push rod cover? Check your front cyl. base gasket. Do you have the washer under the spring on the middle seal? Should be spring ,washer ,seal ,bottom tube.Is the keeper tight when installing it .I have had the bottoms of the tubes flair out or in and push the seal out from its sealing area, letting oil through .I don't use the corks any more . there are better products available.

53Pan66shovel

ok im going to the bike shop this morning to get a throw out bearing ill order some diff gaskets

CraigArizona85248

I use a mixture of three different types of o-rings on my panhead pushrod tubes.

On the top of the pushrod I use the old cork o-rings.  These are very heat resistant and will last the longest.  The blue silicone dried up on me and got brittle from the heat.  Soak the cork in old (or new) motor oil over night to get them nice and pliable.  Don't let them dry out (you need to ride your bike enough to keep them oil soaked).

In the middle of the pushrod I use the blue silicone o-rings.  These work very well and are not subject to the heat that makes them dry out and become brittle.

At the bottom... well, I use Evo o-rings because I have Evo lifter blocks.  Sort of a special case.

-Craig