May 03, 2024, 06:07:44 AM

News:

Stage II versus Stage III

Started by hdrider47, April 11, 2017, 03:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdrider47

I have an M8 Ultra Classic that is now at Stage I (all Screamin Eagle parts).  Getting ready to add more engine performance and wanted to know whether the Stage III kit is good for such a heavy bike.  I like the idea of more power but don't want to lose lower rpm torque.  Is the Stage III curve too far to the right for a heavy bike?  Or, is Stage II torque cam better for a heavy bike?  Also, will the added compression add too much heat to a motor without the liquid cooling?  To preserve the warranty I am inclined to stay with all Screamin Eagle parts.  Thanks. 

Durwood

April 11, 2017, 03:46:40 AM #1 Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:51:49 AM by Durwood
Quote from: hdrider47 on April 11, 2017, 03:35:50 AM
I have an M8 Ultra Classic that is now at Stage I (all Screamin Eagle parts).  Getting ready to add more engine performance and wanted to know whether the Stage III kit is good for such a heavy bike.  I like the idea of more power but don't want to lose lower rpm torque.  Is the Stage III curve too far to the right for a heavy bike?  Or, is Stage II torque cam better for a heavy bike?  Also, will the added compression add too much heat to a motor without the liquid cooling?  To preserve the warranty I am inclined to stay with all Screamin Eagle parts.  Thanks. 
If you are concerned about warranty, wait until it's out.

I would not buy a moco "kit" just because of warranty, you will end up with a right sided build that will be fun during the honeymoon, but soon fade once the ink on the dyno sheet dries.

Then you will spend again when the warranty is out to get a cam that will put the power where you wanted it in the first place.

Added: A good dyno tune with a real tuning device will do wonders for your current stage one. What are you running for exhaust and air cleaner?

hdrider47

Exhaust is 4.5 inch SE Street Cannons, SE stock looking air cleaner kit, and SE Pro Street Tuner.  Most riding is 2500 to 4500 rpm and every so often like to run it up to mid 5000s rpm.  Torque is more important than high horsepower numbers.

Durwood

This is what your current combination is capable of, switch tuning devices, I prefer Power Vision, and get a good tune.
[attach=0]

Durwood

Add a well developed cam, re-tune and you get this. My point is, a guy can get a nice powerful ride without removing the heads.
[attach=0]

hdrider47

Thanks Durwood.  And, also thank you for posting all the results of your M8 testing.  Very interesting and informative. 

sfmichael

Quote from: Durwood on April 11, 2017, 03:46:40 AM
Quote from: hdrider47 on April 11, 2017, 03:35:50 AM
If you are concerned about warranty, wait until it's out.

I would not buy a moco "kit" just because of warranty, you will end up with a right sided build that will be fun during the honeymoon, but soon fade once the ink on the dyno sheet dries.

Then you will spend again when the warranty is out to get a cam that will put the power where you wanted it in the first place.

Added: A good dyno tune with a real tuning device will do wonders for your current stage one. What are you running for exhaust and air cleaner?

:up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.