May 09, 2024, 11:49:27 PM

News:

Sc cv44 carb on a 103

Started by 1fast2liter, April 14, 2017, 11:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1fast2liter

Who has all run this carb? I find that if iam doing 70 down the hwy and gonto roll into it. It pings. I cant remeber the min jet but believe its a 205 with a shim under the needle. Anyone have settings they used for theirs? Motor is a 103. 103+ heads and pistons. Chambers are 91cc ss 585 gear drive crane hi4 ignition amd a propipe.

K4FXD

Dude, in the other thread you said it was pig rich at 70 MPH (11:1)

You have a timing issue causing the ping. Richening it up wont work. Leaning it out will make it worse.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

1fast2liter

That was before i found out it was rich. Aftet tuning ot dosnt ping any more and has leaned out some. I am not even gonna use this carb anymore as i went ahead and got a 45mm mik

K4FXD

Properly tuned you won't be able to tell the CV from the Mik. The CV is a better street carb as it will somewhat self adjust for altitude changes.

1FSTRK

Quote from: K4FXD on April 25, 2017, 06:58:27 AM
Properly tuned you won't be able to tell the CV from the Mik. The CV is a better street carb as it will somewhat self adjust for altitude changes.

Don't all carburetors "somewhat self adjust" for altitude?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

jbexeter

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 25, 2017, 07:43:27 AM

Nope, in the words of the beer ad (german accent) "Only HeineH^H^H^ a CV carb can do this"

1FSTRK

Quote from: jbexeter on April 25, 2017, 07:50:15 AM

Nope, in the words of the beer ad (german accent) "Only HeineH^H^H^ a CV carb can do this"

How?

Hossamania

1fast2liter, where did you end up with jets and needle on this?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jbexeter

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 25, 2017, 11:35:01 AM
Quote from: jbexeter on April 25, 2017, 07:50:15 AM

How?

***because*** it is a CV (constant velocity) carb

it's the pressure difference between AMBIENT which varies from day to day and season to season and weather system to weather system and altitude to altitude, and inlet MANIFOLD that determines how high the slide gets lifted.

On a CV the butterfly controls how much of the MANIFOLD vacuum gets to the carb and the other side of the slide diaphragm.

Once set up *properly* for AFR no non CV type carb can compete with a CV at maintaining AFR across all the above variables ... nowadays we have FI which can, if you like the added complexity.

CV carbs you either love them or hate them, I love them, and run a CV40 in a 103 twinkie that was a stage IV 88

1fast2liter

The cv is dtock needle shimed. With a 205 main and a 45 slow i believe. Its still a tad rich. If i dropped it to a 200 probably be money. 45 will go on as soon as i can find out if i need some adapter or if it will mount like the 44 cv using the rubber boot

1FSTRK

1Fast, good luck with your new Mik
I moved my questions  to a separate thread, to keep from going any father off you topic.

1fast2liter

K4FXD

Yep, because it is constant velocity.