May 03, 2024, 05:04:38 PM

News:

M8 oil problem

Started by DYNO, April 18, 2017, 10:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DYNO

We have a 2017 Road Glide that the oil disappears from the tank then will reappear but it will also flood the TB/Intake with oil from time to time. I am going to do a sump test on the Dyno to see if I can duplicate the problem. The owner took it back to the dealer who told him they could not find anything wrong.  Anybody seen this on these motors?
Thanks,
Rod

BVHOG

Saw one first hand, no inner scavenge gear, like in never installed. The second from a reliable source was a piece of casting flash that got in the scavenge side of the pump which is what I am guessing you have.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

metaliser

Pretty HD denied his warranty (The OP) because they claim the FP3 blowed up the engine. The OP is pissed, highly pissed.

hattitude

April 20, 2017, 07:53:15 AM #3 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:21:34 AM by hattitude
Quote from: metaliser on April 19, 2017, 05:53:46 PM
Pretty HD denied his warranty (The OP) because they claim the FP3 blowed up the engine. The OP is pissed, highly pissed.

Actually, HD is not claiming the FP3 blew up the engine. HD is following the requirements of the EPA settlement by denying any powertrain warranty claims on a bike with a non-EPA approved tuner...

"14. Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA.
b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such information."

Both the bike owner and dealer showed a bit of naivete by submitting a catastrophic engine warranty claim on a bike with a non-EPA tuner attached.... Many have wondered if the MoCo would follow the "letter of the law" when it came to warranty issues and the EPA settlement...   Now we know....

Ohio HD

Agree that there's little chance the FP3 even remotely had anything to do with it. But face it, when the warranty states you can't do something, you take a chance when you ignore it. Not saying I wouldn't try for a warranty claim with my own bike, but if it were denied, I wouldn't cry about it. I'm responsible for my own actions.

jbexeter

...is it just me or.....

1/ build horribly restricted motorcycle

2/ smile when buyers do something trivial and common to make it suck less, that invokes a legalse get out clause for any and all manufacturing defects and faults and warranty claims of any kind

3/ profit...

Given that in the 4 wheel world you can now buy an american muscle car that will wheelie off the showroom floor and still meet all these regs, we are supposed to believe that HD "opposed" this EPA legislation???

Different laws here in the EU of course, but actual sales numbers are so much lower than they probably don't care.

PoorUB

:agree:
Look at what the imports are doing for performance, then look at HD and I shake my head. Trouble with a lot of it in regards to HD is the bulk of the buyers are stuck on tradition and don't want high tech. Just look back the the breaker points versus electronic ignition whines, or carb vs. EFI, then more lately air cooled over water cooled. I swear most guys want a 2017 Shovel!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

That's the wonderful thing about empowering yourself, you don't have to buy them. Just because we want HD as a company to be different, doesn't mean they will or should be. It's all about personal choice, and as I stand, being responsible for your actions.

I ride an HD because I like them. Do they need to have things done to make them run like I think they should? Yep, do I do that, yep again. If I buy a new bike and make changes that later preclude me from a warranty claim, I'm a big boy, and will eat it.

FXDBI

Quote from: hattitude on April 20, 2017, 07:53:15 AM

Actually, HD is not claiming the FP3 blew up the engine. HD is following the requirements of the EPA settlement by denying any powertrain warranty claims on a bike with a non-EPA approved tuner...

"14. Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA.
b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such information."

Both the bike owner and dealer showed a bit of naivete by submitting a catastrophic engine warranty claim on a bike with a non-EPA tuner attached.... Many have wondered if the MoCo would follow the "letter of the law" when it came to warranty issues and the EPA settlement...   Now we know....

I thought that's what I read when they made the deal with the epa.  They laid the law down like this years ago at the dealerships up here. I was told in 2006 there SERT would void my warrenty and advised to wait until it was expired. I had to use a dealer flashed stg1 to keep it intact. All the I will sue you and they have to  prove it caused the failure rhetoric don't even phase them. You will lose in court and get a bill for the other side as well as your own. Mothership is pretty iron clad and your pockets arnt deep enough EVEN IF THE HEAD OF THE EPA comes from your home town. Best to sit and read all the fine print in the papers you signed buying the bike.     :rtfb:    rant over   Bob

jbexeter

Quote from: PoorUB on April 20, 2017, 08:56:15 AM
I swear most guys want a 2017 Shovel!

Raises hand and waves....

A shovelk made in 2017 with modern cnc machinery and tolerances  etc..

I know S&S do one as a crate motor but never seen one in the flesh , be real interesting to compare it to an original for reliability etc etc etc..

harley_cruiser

Quote from: hattitude on April 20, 2017, 07:53:15 AM

"14. Denial of Warranty.

Yep, in California.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-08/documents/harleydavidson-cd.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwieh--c4rPTAhXsx4MKHW5GDb0QFggoMAI&usg=AFQjCNHgOWbhEediVPFl24wtHR6zh6kEJg&sig2=0NrUMyGsd3xNfp4yU8q-tw
Also buy back of all non compliant SE tuners, so any old ones sitting on your bench, send to CA for a buy back?

festus

Look at what the imports are doing for performance, then look at HD and I shake my head. Trouble with a lot of it in regards to HD is the bulk of the buyers are stuck on tradition and don't want high tech. Just look back the the breaker points versus electronic ignition whines, or carb vs. EFI, then more lately air cooled over water cooled.
I swear most guys want a 2017 Shovel!

That or a EVO FXR again.......2 + to my twin cam FLTR.   :koolaid:
Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.

nome

Look at what the imports are doing for performance, then look at HD and I shake my head. Trouble with a lot of it in regards to HD is the bulk of the buyers are stuck on tradition and don't want high tech. Just look back the the breaker points versus electronic ignition whines, or carb vs. EFI, then more lately air cooled over water cooled. I swear most guys want a 2017 Shovel!
Well I would like a 2017 Pan.

trex

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 20, 2017, 09:01:12 AM
That's the wonderful thing about empowering yourself, you don't have to buy them. Just because we want HD as a company to be different, doesn't mean they will or should be. It's all about personal choice, and as I stand, being responsible for your actions.

I ride an HD because I like them. Do they need to have things done to make them run like I think they should? Yep, do I do that, yep again. If I buy a new bike and make changes that later preclude me from a warranty claim, I'm a big boy, and will eat it.
I agree with you 100%. When I read some of the comments here I think, why the hell do you have a Harley nobody forced you, buy what you want and shut up. I rode a new M8 and liked it a lot. It isn't as fast as my 03 95in. 10.5-1  Wood 8 cammed hot rod but I liked it. Compare an M8 dresser to any Japanese VTwin of comparable displacement or bigger. If you think the other bike is better what are you doing on a Harley, you simply a poser?

HD/Wrench

I had several of the SE tuners I asked about that . It was for dealers that had the tuners on the shelf not for end user from what I was told.

harleytuner

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on May 31, 2017, 07:04:29 AM
I had several of the SE tuners I asked about that . It was for dealers that had the tuners on the shelf not for end user from what I was told.

That's how I understand it as well.  The buy back was for dealer inventory.  HD paid a fine per unit sold, because of that they don't have to offer a buyback from the end user.