Tracking down knock hits can bus

Started by 07heri, April 23, 2017, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

07heri

Guys are there any differences on the can bus bikes when pinpointing where to reduce timing?  Prior was to go back a tad from where it showed up on a log.  Do the can bus bikes report the same way on a log?
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

07heri

Is everyone just ignoring pinging on the can bus bikes?
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

1FSTRK

What tuner are you using and what strategy tune?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

07heri

2016 Heritage
Stage 1

1FSTRK

I know there were issues with false knock because of the oem stock software. I do not think you can adjust it out, I think you need to start with a new base map that has it fixed.
It is a busy time of year for all the good pro tuners here but someone may chime in with the info. You could call PV and they will help you.

07heri

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 26, 2017, 02:33:41 PM
I think you need to start with a new base map that has it fixed.

What do you mean by fixed?
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

1FSTRK

It is my understanding that the base cals contain the information that determines what readings the ECM will call out as spark knock. These are different in different cals and strategies. They can only be changed by PV, TTS, or who ever makes the tuner you use.
Higher compression/power engines will give readings that the stock cal calls out as spark knock but actually is not. You can send PV a data recording and the engine specs and they may be able to make adjustments to the base cal on their end so that you can tune with it normally.
Some times just picking a different base cal from the list to start with and changing all the base settings to match your engine will work.

There are threads here that cover much of this if you search this section.

07heri

I have no issues with the cal or strategy.  What I was originally asking is how to identify the cells to reduce timing a degree or two to address pinging. 

It's my understanding that the can bus bikes are different.  ie:  VEs are all at 2% or less.  I run a log, not aut tuning, just a typical log.  I see where it pulled out 6 degrees. 

Am I correct thinking that what I'm seeing is the adaptive settings and not where the knock happened?  Prior to can bus I would just back up a few ms or frames and take out a degree from the respective cells.  With can bus is the log showing the knock hit or showing where the adaptive setting was stored for that key cycle?
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

KE5RBD

If you are using MLV you can view the VE's and New VE's to see if lean in that area.  If not lean then look at the condition a few milliseconds before the Spark Knock event.  You can also pull up the IONQ1 and IONQ2 and watch it on MLV and It will give you an indication of where the spark knock is going to happen.  It is the actual amount of spark removed. You can also look at it with EXCEL, just little more difficult.  I have my adaptive spark zeroed out and the max Knock retard at 2.  I did change the base 617 strategy to a new one and it improved greatly.  I also run my timing pretty low and it works better for me and actually performs better.  Look at a timing map for a M8 and you will be surprised how slow the timing can be run.  I put one of these on my 14 Limited and it performed much better. The 17 spark map did have too much timing in the WOT area around 4500 up.  I only run 20 to 22 degrees there.   Another thing I have done is put Vrod plugs in and virtually eliminated spark knock and also performs better.  They are 2 steps colder plugs and have had no issue running them.  Mileage is also little better as the Ion sensing isn't seeing high enough load to remove timing.   
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.