May 03, 2024, 11:39:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 oil consumption

Started by Bernman, April 26, 2017, 03:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernman

So I bought a 2017 Ultra and at 1000 miles I was at the Add mark on the oil dipstick.  I'm one of those people who check the oil often.  The bike had 40 miles on it at delivery.  Oil level was slightly below full the first time I checked it.  As the miles added up the oil level kept going down. At 500 miles */- I added the SE Air Filter and Rinehart mufflers with the SE Pro Street Tuner(All EPA compliant). I did notice  a pooling of oil on the Throttle Body when I changed the filter.   I decide to run the bike with the air filter off and I noticed a lot more gases coming from from the front breathe tube and almost none from the back.  This is with the SE tubes that have two separate tubes.  Is it possible that I have a blocked breathe port and all the gasses are vented through the front cylinder?

HDDOC

Pull both breather bolts out and then check if the breathe the same , Then go from there.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

Bernman

HDDOC

Hang some toilet paper in front of the breather holes it will give you a visual rather than felt. Half qt of oil on a new motor is not  uncommon in a 1000 miles even a qt. Should decrease on you next oil change. You may want to run the breathers to ground rather than the intake, really do not want that oil going into the intake.   Doc
2019 Tri Glide

HDDOC

I did this to the stock A/C
2019 Tri Glide

HDDOC

2019 Tri Glide

Bernman

Quote from: HDDOC on April 28, 2017, 04:49:44 AM
Hang some toilet paper in front of the breather holes it will give you a visual rather than felt. Half qt of oil on a new motor is not  uncommon in a 1000 miles even a qt. Should decrease on you next oil change. You may want to run the breathers to ground rather than the intake, really do not want that oil going into the intake.   Doc

OK I pulled the breather bolts and back plate and did the toilet paper test.  Front port much stronger than rear but both are working.  Good point about first 1000 miles, I'm at 1800 and much less oil consumption.  Thanks for the advice. 

HDDOC

Let you bike ideal for a bit before shutting it down, Then in a few mins. check the oil should read full hot if the bike is hot, Check cold it should be in the middle between full hot and add.    Doc
2019 Tri Glide

JB2017CVO

Not sure this applies to any bikes other than the screaming eagles...but they are having an issue with Wet-sumping...your oil may be leaking back into your crank....I am currently having this issue on mine...2017 CVO street glide...

Templer

I find that ANYTHING (H2o/oil) entering the intake (carb or TB) is corrupting the incoming air/fuel mixture. CORRECT?? If this is correct would it not be worth the wait on say more then 2000 miles before ANY type of retune?? WE all get that piston top coating from quote "tune' or "oil mist". WE build higher compression motors/BUY OEM higher comp motors and have them tuned THEN after a few WE (MOST) cant figure out why it pings and blame it one the tune. What happens when that buildup of crap gets thicker on top those pistons???? Why does the intake look so UGLY??? Why does the sensors in the throttle body have a
coating covering them? HOW CAN A NEW BIKE PASS CA SMOG (if they stinger the Exhaust)?? A CAR given same contamination MAY NOT PASS SMOG!!!!!
I myself have a catch can and it is drained to the city provided oil recycle container per month!!!!!!!!!!!!! No mess from :"HDs mark there spot"  :down:  less piston top coating -ring degradation SMOG!!!!
All thing are as normal IMHO!!

Xyzzy

Does the oil mist getting sucked in the TB really mess up things?

Cars have had the same things since I can remember and it doesn't hurt them. (Or does it?)

:oil:

tommy g

Quote from: Xyzzy on June 11, 2017, 10:02:48 AM

Cars have had the same things since I can remember and it doesn't hurt them. (Or does it?)

You are right, sucking that crap in is probably quite good for everything.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Durwood

Quote from: Xyzzy on June 11, 2017, 10:02:48 AM

I don't like the excessive carbon build up in the combustion chambers and on piston tops.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Templer on June 11, 2017, 09:06:20 AM
HOW CAN A NEW BIKE PASS CA SMOG (if they stinger the Exhaust)?? A CAR given same contamination MAY NOT PASS SMOG!!!!!

Pretty simple...

CA mandates extra smog equipment, then doesn't make bikes take smog tests.

You need to think like a California legislator.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

tomcat64

check how much oil is in the crank case,, there is a drain plug,, it shouldn't be more than 3 OZ..

Heatwave3

Quote from: tomcat64 on June 23, 2017, 03:42:15 PM
check how much oil is in the crank case,, there is a drain plug,, it shouldn't be more than 3 OZ..

Yep, have the dealer follow the procedure outlined in SB1450. If your showing low oil on the dip stick, no oil on the ground, no oil dripping from breather....then there's a good chance you have a sumping issue and the oil is building up in the crankcase instead of being pumped back to the pan. Need to have it checked by the dealer.

HD/Wrench

Dealers are busy with the issues on the m8 for sure ..