May 08, 2024, 09:22:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Marbles

Started by Porkys_Son, April 27, 2017, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkys_Son

When I heard a noise that sounded like marbles in the engine I took it apart to find the problem. Thought it needed bearings replaced that involved removing and opening engine. More than I was willing to do. Turns out a nut backed off inside the primary. Replaced and tightened the nut but, I may still have a screw loose.

aswracing

Unfortunately this problem isn't nearly as rare as it should be.

Loctite red and 240ft-lbs. There was a service bulletin to raise the torque spec on specific models, I believe it was 190ft-lbs before.

Also consider swapping out that 4-bolt rotor hat setup for the later 8-bolt. That was an upgrade that came out in 2002 because Buells especially were shearing off the bolts. But any hopped up XL puts those 4 bolts at risk. And it makes a mess. There's an aftermarket 8-bolt setup available that also has sealed magnets, again to head off another common failure.

Likewise there was an update to the primary chain tensioner in 2001, again because the Buells kept breaking the Sportster piece. They thickened the steel that reinforces the shoe. Again it heads off a nasty failure.