May 03, 2024, 03:51:06 AM

News:

The heat

Started by wiliturk, April 28, 2017, 07:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiliturk

I picked my FLHTP up today from having the 1k service done. It was the warmest day we have had here this year and the first chance Ive had to ride in warm weather. The temps were in the low 80's. The bike was extremely warm, uncomfortably warm. Is this normal?
I know HD offers the fan to draw away engine heat as an option, but if they are all this hot they should make them standard on all these bikes. Does anybody else take issue with this? Anybody have a solution?

JYHD1

Our experience in hot weather with our 17' Road King has actually been about the opposite from yours. We've ridden several times in the 90's this year and many times in the high 80's and even going through 6 miles of town the wife and I both thought it was noticeably cooler than our 08' RK that was our last bike. We could definitely feel the heat at the stoplights in town but never to the point that we thought it was uncomfortable.

Riding in mid 80° temps in the country our oil temp is running around 205°-210° and in town around 225°-230°. That's about 25° lower than our 08', 107" with a good tune and a 10 row Jag cooler ran.

John

twincamzz

I got my M8 last August and now have over 8200 miles on her. Have ridden in 95* heat without feeling like the motor was gonna cook me. All in all, pleasantly surprised .
not all who wander are lost...

Wicked

Heat is relative to the person....   heat from where/what part of the bike? what exact temps are you asking? what bike are you comparing it to? If this is your 1st HD, yes it may appear hot.....

wiliturk

I don't know what the oil temps are. This isn't my first HD, it is my first FLH. Ive got a BMW R1200GS. that runs no where near this hot. One of the reasons I bought this was they were supposed to have dealt with the heat issues. Where exactly the heat was originating, I'm not sure.

08flstf

Quote from: wiliturk on April 29, 2017, 05:46:03 AM
I don't know what the oil temps are. This isn't my first HD, it is my first FLH. Ive got a BMW R1200GS. that runs no where near this hot. One of the reasons I bought this was they were supposed to have dealt with the heat issues. Where exactly the heat was originating, I'm not sure.
[/quot

I don't have an M8 yet but am considering one. What I do have is a 2012 FLTRX with a 124 and a good tune which is day and night cooler than it was when stock. Never notice heat unless I get stuck in stop and go traffic jam. Also have a 2016 BMW R1200GSA. The exhaust is routed more underneath the bike away from you than on the Harley. Not a real even comparison. When stopped in traffic in 90+ temps here in east Texas I feel plenty of heat from the beamer as well.