April 27, 2024, 01:35:13 PM

News:

65 Sporty Generator wiring with no battery

Started by 61pan, April 26, 2009, 04:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

61pan

Looking how to hook up regulator with no battery. Old regulator was fried not sure it was wired right. Bought a new regulator and don't want to hool it up until I'm sure of the wiring connections.

Pynzo

help-u2

crap, i know this from triumph days.  am old and suffering from CRS.
zenor diode comes to mind.  have to turn elect energy unsed into heat energy.  has to go somewhere.
let me think and maybe look into my old notes.  thinking you need more than just a regulator.  well, unless it has a way to shunt to ground all unsed stuff..

wreck74

61pan

Pynzo

I need to know what kind of regulator you are using with this generator.

61pan

The Voltage Regulator I picked up is a Accel Bosch type has 4 connections on it. This is also the type that was taken off due to burned points.

nibroc

cycle electric's gen-reg combo is a nice set-up with one pos post---great for a mag--jmho

Pynzo

Your Bosch  Regulator should be wired like this: Hot lead from Ignition/Light Switch to terminal B+, Dummy Light wire to terminal 61(if you use it), DF terminal to F terminal of Generator, and D+ to A terminal of Generator. You'll need to polarize your generator after hooking this all up, without a battery on the bike you'll need to hook up either a battery or use a trickle charger, by hooking the Positive terminal to terminal B+ of Bosch and Negative to the frame. Momentarily tap a length of wire from B+ to 61 terminals(D+ and 61 terminals are on same bar) of Bosch, then disconnect battery or charger.

61pan

Thanks Pynzo. After searching the internet I did find a wiring diagram. I will save this info you gave me if I need it again. Got everything working last night now by bro came ride at night :teeth:. Now i can go back to getting my pan put back together. Riding weather is here!

Pynzo

61 Pan- Can you do me a favor? Is this bike you're talking about an XLCH? I need the length and width dimensions of the spacers between the brake light switch and primary cover. I put up a post asking for the info but haven't got one answer yet. If you can hook me up, I'd appreciate it.