May 08, 2024, 08:11:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2012 CVO lower Speaker replacement?

Started by Street Glide, May 20, 2017, 09:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Street Glide

Have a 2012 CVO Street Glide. Would like to replace the speakers in the lower fairings with a set of Kapa Infinity speakers which are 2 ohm, the stock speakers are 1 ohm. Will the Kapa speakers work as replacements?

Thanks for your help.

Coyote

Pretty sure your stock speakers are 2 ohm.

UltraNutZ

actually Coyote, that year CVO - they are 1 ohm but to Street Glide, yes the kappas will work fine and will be a huge improvement over stock.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Street Glide

Thanks for the quick response, Harley Tech Talk is always there when you need help

Dennis.

longshooter

Wow!  I do not think I have ever heard of 1ohm speakers before.
UltraNutz, I am not savvy on this at all. I always thought you had to replace speakers with the same resistance as was removed. What are the advantages/disadvantages of changing that? And is there a rule or limit as to how much you can change?

Thanks in advance for your help in educating me.

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

UltraNutZ

Not sure off the top of my head what years but during that time HD audio engineers decided it was best to use (2) 1 ohm speakers wired in series (lower and fairing) to create a 1 ohm load at their amp outputs.  IMO, it was for no other reason than to try and lock unsuspecting users into paying high dollar for their specific branded components.  Did it sound good?  Sure it did.  Anyways, with that setup, connecting a 2 ohm speaker in series with a 1 ohm speaker creates a 3 ohm load which is slightly higher than stock load and will be perfectly fine.  In respect to the 1 ohm setup it's all about matching components so they did it right, just not the way the rest of the audio world functions.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Coyote

Never ran across one. Learn something new every day even if it does make you go  :sick:

longshooter

UltraNutz,
Thanks for the explanation.

Coyote,
I agree. That would have thrown me for a complete loop.

longshooter

STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.