M1447: Safety Recall Code 0170 - Oil Cooling Line Clamp Inspection

Started by FSG, May 27, 2017, 01:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

Jim Bronson

Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

yobtaf103

Yep this is real!
Tech on PDI ride nearly binned it, got lucky

masterp

Thanks for posting.  Any pictures or HD literature showing or describing a bad install/good install?

HV

We  haven't found any YET..but the Clamps are installed...just not Crimped
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

FSG

no but, those type of clamps have the ratcheting bits and locating holes

I believe that if 3 holes are visible then it's not crimped enough, if 2 are visible then it's OK, or something along those lines.

FSG

FSG

I guess if the clamp is installed but not closed down to the correct size before crimping then what looks to be a good crimp going by the "ear" is still a loose clamp.

I really need to see a problem one, as HV has said "just not crimped".

masterp

Quote from: FSG on June 02, 2017, 03:09:28 PMI really need to see a problem one...
Yep, me too.  And thanks again for the info.  It's pretty easy to tell when an Oetiker clamp isn't finished properly so a quick peek should do it.  If the clamp is the correct part number (assuming they chose the correct size at design) and the ears are crimped at least 50% of their starting width then they are good to go.

Bigs

Thanks for the info. I just got finished checking mine and the lower right clamp is either not holding the hose tight enough or the hose was not pushed up all the way when clamped since the left side is up a lot farther. This is on a RK with 2,100 miles.
   Bigs

FSG

Schex3x

Took a short ride yesterday, later noticed plenty oil under the bike, cleaned it up and ran engine, as soon as it warms up, oil pouring from the oil line connection coming from the case.
Replaced the spring camp with a stainless screw clamp, problem solved.

Spring clamp on an oil line? :banghead:

Karl H.

Quote from: Schex3x on June 03, 2017, 06:42:54 AM
...Spring clamp on an oil line? :banghead:

This type of clamp is standard in modern cars. It works flawlessly if applied correctly.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Schex3x

Took 1400 miles, then leaked, not just a seep.

Would work if the hose to barb fit was better, the hose does not fit tight, back clamp up, slips right off.

masterp

Quote from: Karl H. on June 03, 2017, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: Schex3x on June 03, 2017, 06:42:54 AM
...Spring clamp on an oil line? :banghead:

...It works flawlessly if applied correctly.
In this case it must not have been. 

I wasn't expecting to see that type of clamp used there and couldn't sleep at night if I'd made that decision on someone's bike. 

Bike31

Does it appear the hose material is softened or swelling over time from oil or heat?

Schex3x

Not really soft, I would say if anything possibly swelled a little?also the molded bend by the oil cooler looks like it has little blisters so to speak, but it could be that's how they look, squeezing it, it doesn't feel like hose that's coming apart or swole

Rokinrider

My Roadie just started leaking, I had it scheduled for the 5k service now I'm wanting them to come get it? Calling tomorrow.
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

JYHD1

Called the dealership this morning to see if it was OK to just check it myself and was told to bring it in and have them check it or we'd keep getting notices from them to have it checked. No appointment necessary, bring it in and they'd pull someone to check it immediately. We only live about 5 minutes from the dealership so took it right over.

They had the service mgr. and a tech both jump right on it and we were back out in about 10 minutes. Said they have checked over a hundred plus all the bikes in stock at both locations and have not found one yet with the clamp improperly installed.

RXBOB

Got my official letter today. I personally checked mine and I don't have an issue with how they are secured

I am waiting on a letter about the primary/gearbox oil issues :pop: