Zumo 590 Mount Options for a Road King?

Started by chipthedonkey, June 02, 2017, 08:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipthedonkey

The motorcycle mount is just fine for my Road Glide.  I've got a power connector and an audio connector that goes to a rear aux port that's been added to the radio all inside the left glove box.  So the big harness that comes with the motorcycle mount can all lay inside there.  It powers the Zumo.   It takes Zumo audio to the radio and I can play music through the Zumo that is interrupted by the nav seamlessly.  Only a tiny bit of the cable hangs out behind the RAM mount and the glove box.  It could hardly be a neater and more effective layout.

However....

I can't find a good solution for my Road King.  I don't want that big harness that's part of the motorcycle mount just tied up hanging from the handlebars.  If I could find some version of the car mount that had an AMP connector I'd use that.  I really don't even care if it's a powered mount.  If could just find some clean mount to hang the unit on the bars it'd run on its internal battery for as much of a day as would commonly get used.

Has anyone found a clean uncluttered way to hang a Zumo 590/595 on a Road King?

FLHRI_2004

What year?  On my 2014 I plugged into the front fender tip light connector (unused on the RK) to power my GoPro if I want to take video for longer than the ~60" battery life.  It's only a short wire.  That connector is under the nacelle accessible from the right side.
My Ride: Road King

chipthedonkey

The power connection I'm not worried about.  There is power that's easy to grab inside the nacelle.  It's the physical mount I'm dealing with.

The "motorcycle mount" that comes with the Zumos has a large and long harness.  I could drape it under the tank and pick up power under the seat but it would still leave a lot of harness left on top of the battery.  That would also make it a relatively permanent installation.  I don't want to do that.  Just looking for some relatively clean mount of some kind for a Zumo 590.  It's different than the 600/600/665.  So it needs to be for 590 / 595.  As mentioned before if it was something like the car mount that's fine.  Could then power through the mount's USB port.  But if it's just some clamping mount with no power I could work with that too.

biglew55

Lots of folks pare down the harness to make it smaller and to remove items not required for their application.  zumo forums has a lot of knowledge base for this.  I've not done it myself, but there are several threads where others have.

My impression is that you can easily cut back the harness, snip and cap what you don't need and wire the remaining power leads to whatever kind of connection you find convenient.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

chipthedonkey

Quote from: biglew55 on June 03, 2017, 07:05:31 AM
Lots of folks pare down the harness to make it smaller and to remove items not required for their application.  zumo forums has a lot of knowledge base for this.  I've not done it myself, but there are several threads where others have.

My impression is that you can easily cut back the harness, snip and cap what you don't need and wire the remaining power leads to whatever kind of connection you find convenient.

It's a molded harness at its upper end.  I'd thought about opening it and removing a lot and shortening it down.  It's like 60 bucks though.  Before doing that was hoping to find something simpler.

chipthedonkey

Ok, never mind.  Just opened up the motorcycle harness and got rid of everything but the power leads I need.  Whole thing is now only 20" long also.  All good.

biglew55

Good deal!

Post some pics to help the next person researching it.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

chipthedonkey

Quote from: biglew55 on June 03, 2017, 01:34:50 PM
Good deal!

Post some pics to help the next person researching it.

After I'd committed some butcher on mine I found where someone else had already done a lot neater job.  If anyone needs to they can see a really nice effort and all the wiring details here:

http://jahonen.kapsi.fi/Electronics/Garmin_Zumo_595_motorcycle_cradle/