May 02, 2024, 11:42:20 PM

News:

Loss of Power Running RPM up

Started by PAHunter, June 04, 2017, 04:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHunter

M8 was fine, ran it up a few times but for the most part slow speed cruising along river roads.. went to climb a hill exhaust seemed a little louder.. I started listening for more things but really nothing but a slight different exhaust tone.. Came to a stop sign seemed a touch rough on idle, well, I'll run it out I think .. Bike had no interest in climbing the RPM's but moved me along enough to go 10 miles to camp.. I almost think I have a dead cylinder.. Anyone got any solution thoughts that would help get out riding again? Otherwise it ain't moving till it goes to dealer.
There was a suggestion from another that the OIL SPRAY PORT can loosen and dump oil in cylinder and make it sluggish in power.. anyone have any insight in this as well.

rbabos

Quote from: PAHunter on June 04, 2017, 04:15:41 PM
M8 was fine, ran it up a few times but for the most part slow speed cruising along river roads.. went to climb a hill exhaust seemed a little louder.. I started listening for more things but really nothing but a slight different exhaust tone.. Came to a stop sign seemed a touch rough on idle, well, I'll run it out I think .. Bike had no interest in climbing the RPM's but moved me along enough to go 10 miles to camp.. I almost think I have a dead cylinder.. Anyone got any solution thoughts that would help get out riding again? Otherwise it ain't moving till it goes to dealer.
There was a suggestion from another that the OIL SPRAY PORT can loosen and dump oil in cylinder and make it sluggish in power.. anyone have any insight in this as well.

I think I'd be avoiding that forum. :hyst: Check codes for a dropped cyl, fuel or ignition is all I can offer at this point.
Ron

PAHunter

:hyst: LOL thanks for response .. HD picking up tomorrow

hdbikedoc

Did the motor get noisy ? did the oil light come on ?
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

92flhtcu

Please keep us posted on this, thanks
Need a bigger garage

PAHunter

The oil light did not come on and the motor was not noisy .. at idle it sound perfectly fine, even w a blip of the throttle you wouldn't know there was an issue. I will respond when I hear what's up.

finnmike

Having kind of the same problem overhere.
Bike is a FLHTK with stage 3 engine upgrade from start. Bike run good for 2000miles then when it was driven harder,fast highway trips 100mph it lacks out of power. Starts to misfire and jerks and does not respond to throttle.
Once it has cooled down it runs good again and runs good during normal riding.
ECU sets no codes.

Hossamania

Sounds like a temperature sensor may be failing, but of course, just a wild assed guess on my limited knowledge.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Wicked

Did you get any speed at all?  Wouldn't be "limp mode" would it?

PAHunter

No limp mode.. Dealer say's that could not make what I described happen  :banghead: .. So they Dyno'd it w a tune (108HP~121TQ), changed my oil to see if oil smelt burnt, and gave me a $20 bill for the unscheduled State Inspection .. I can't complain, they tried. So either it will happen again or never again, whatchagoingtodo.

92flhtcu

Thanks for the update, hope it was a one time deal.. and you are good to go
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

I'm curious about your horsepower and torque ratings, is this a stock motor? Those are pretty decent numbers.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JB2017CVO

Wet Sumping....Had the same issue with mine....My dealer called harley today....they know there is an issue

PAHunter

Stage III 117ci HD w 4.5 Rineharts and SE lame tuner.. Definitely runs better  :gob:

PAHunter

Quote from: JB2017CVO on June 08, 2017, 10:20:05 AM
Wet Sumping....Had the same issue with mine....My dealer called harley today....they know there is an issue
Can you give anymore info? Please.

JB2017CVO

PAHunter.....what is happening is the oil is leaking back into the crank...more than likely its an O ring in the cam chest somewhere...your oil level probably keeps showing low because it is no longer in the oil tank but back in the crank...If they pull your crank plug and the oil smells burnt....they need to go ahead and replace the top end of the motor...This will be the 2nd motor they have put in on mine...at 300 miles the valve in the oil pump went out and completely toasted the pistons and cylinders....now I have a little over 3k miles and am having the wet sumping issue as well...If my oil is burnt they are replacing the top end again...btw...this is a screaming eagle issue....mine is a stage 4 kit...

Heatwave3

Quote from: JB2017CVO on June 09, 2017, 05:18:49 AM
PAHunter.....what is happening is the oil is leaking back into the crank...more than likely its an O ring in the cam chest somewhere...your oil level probably keeps showing low because it is no longer in the oil tank but back in the crank...If they pull your crank plug and the oil smells burnt....they need to go ahead and replace the top end of the motor...This will be the 2nd motor they have put in on mine...at 300 miles the valve in the oil pump went out and completely toasted the pistons and cylinders....now I have a little over 3k miles and am having the wet sumping issue as well...If my oil is burnt they are replacing the top end again...btw...this is a screaming eagle issue....mine is a stage 4 kit...

Actually the leaking oil into the crankcase is most likely from oil jet screws not properly torqued. If you EVER have your engine broken down to the Cylinders off, it should be a must for your shop to quickly check the torque setting of the 4 screws holding the oil jet sprayers to the wall of the crankcase. The crankcase does not need to be opened as the screws can be accessed through the jug openings to measure their torque setting.

For anyone experiencing sluggish performance of  an M8 engine or "bogging" after riding on the highway at higher speeds or revving the engine for a long time in the twisties....read this Service Bulletin #1450.

JB2017CVO

2017 CVO stage 4......I have had 3 different top ends put in mine and the last one was an entirely brand new motor including crankcase and all...Everything gone in and torqued properly and the new oil pump was installed on the last motor....Still sumped...they are sending and engineer down in a couple weeks to look at the bike...Actually met with the Harley State rep for Texas yesterday and he pushed it up the chain....I am getting a new bike and they are gonna hold off on the stage 4 kit until they can get this issue figured out....

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Heatwave3 on July 20, 2017, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: JB2017CVO on June 09, 2017, 05:18:49 AM

Actually the leaking oil into the crankcase is most likely from oil jet screws not properly torqued. If you EVER have your engine broken down to the Cylinders off, it should be a must for your shop to quickly check the torque setting of the 4 screws holding the oil jet sprayers to the wall of the crankcase. The crankcase does not need to be opened as the screws can be accessed through the jug openings to measure their torque setting.

For anyone experiencing sluggish performance of  an M8 engine or "bogging" after riding on the highway at higher speeds or revving the engine for a long time in the twisties....read this Service Bulletin #1450.
:up: good info
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

tomcat64

yuppers,, the new pump solves the problem,,