April 27, 2024, 03:19:14 PM

News:

Installing electronic timer on 47

Started by ricochet, April 27, 2009, 07:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

Hello.  I'm putting a new Vulcan electronic timer on my knuck.  I've already got a solid state regulator with it's single hot wire to under the seat area for distribution to lights etc. and also wired to a battery eliminator (CAP).  This same lead would be the one going to the battery + terminal, correct?  The regulator should be OK with a battery, right?  What are the minimum requirements of the battery?  I'd like to think there are currently newer gel cells or some such batteries that are much smaller to fit into the space within the battery box of the oil tank.  Looking for a small one that's shallow as I've got my horn mounted in the bottom of that space.  Is there only the one hot wire going to the timer through a switch?  I've got the ignition part from the timer to the plugs down.

ricochet

4DWUDS

I converted my WL to 12 V and a solid state reg but retained the Sparky Lectric Dizzy Timer thingy :wink:  and only one wire from the switch to there. The battery in mine is half the size of the original, as long as you don't have a starter button to use, it will be fine. I have a wiring diagram if needed or Google one if you need it now.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

stroker800

Ricochet,,,,before you install and time your timer,,,check to see how strong the magnets are on the rotor,,I have installed 3 of those timers 2 had bad rotors...Vulcan came good for it and great working products...As far a battery goes ,,I was told not to run a dirt bike size due to the fact that I run an alternator instead of the genny...I think you should be fine..
Dave

ricochet

Stroker,  how do you determine the right strength of those magnets and what did Vulcan do to correct?  They're about 1.5 miles from me.

ricochet

stroker800

Ricochet,,,,all I did was go by feel ,,,I tested with a bolt stuck to another magnet..You will also feel the pull or lack of in my case...I don't know if a magnet can get discharged by static,,but the units were shipped by mail...Vulcan sent out 2 new rotors and all magnets have good attraction....I run the mini alternator on my pan,,,comes with a single wire regulator,,,directions stated not to run a mini battery with the voltage regulator....I don,t know why???  I don't have a electric starter..I have been running mini batteries for years on the shovel,,,no problems at all...Are you goin to run as single fire or dual????
Dave

ricochet

It'll be single fire but I'm on hold for a while as I had to have eye surgery and it's keeping me from doing a lot of my projects both home and hobby so I'm betting backed up now.

ricochet