2003 FLHTCUI; Radio stuck on weather band

Started by Ratfade, June 16, 2017, 03:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratfade

Like the title says, the radio is stuck on the weather band (don't ask me how it got there in the first place). Pressing the "mode select" switch causes the radio to scroll up or down the weather band as if "scan" or "seek" had been pressed. The AM/FM radio bands remain unavailable.
I can still play CD's, but when I eject one, it's back to the weather band.
I'm thinking I'll just replace the mode select switch, but I thought I'd better ask first as my diagnostic skills in this area are weak.
Thanks.

Ratfade

Nobody has any ideas? Am I just doomed to listen to that weather drone voice? :teeth:

Rockout Rocker Products

Don't know how the '03 system works but my '15 did that when "auto alerts" or something like that was enabled. Seems it was always alerting.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

DresserDan

Ratfade

My old system is not sophisticated enough to have audio alerts, so I took Dan's advice and tried disconnecting the battery. The radio is now stuck on the FM2 band, which is much preferable to the weather band. But the mode select still works as a seek or scan button, not as mode select.
Any more ideas?

Coyote

The switch is a matrix switch. Sounds like it's bad.

Ratfade

Thanks, Mr. Coyote. I'll replace it as I have the part number. Just for the info, what's a matrix switch?

Coyote

Actually the older bikes are a bit less complicated on that switch.

You can see from the matrix chart which wires are connected to which for the needed function.

When you press in for a Mode change, the switch should connect the Brown/White to Violet/Black

If it were me, I'd pull the connector from the back of the radio and verify this with an ohm meter just to make sure it is a switch issue and not a radio issue.

[attach=0]

Ratfade

Good deal; this is sounding more like electrics and less like electronics. Is it right to say it shouldn't matter so much what the ohms are so long as it changes with the switch in or out?

Coyote

Ratfade

Alrighty; tested the wires at the radio and got .08 ohms which I assume is okay and suggests the switch is the problem. For fun, I fiddled with the passenger PTT and volume control switch which my passenger NEVER uses. Interestingly, both PTT and volume also worked as a seek/scan switch just like the handlebar mode select switch.
Still the same verdict, that the switch is the problem? Thought I'd ask before I ordered the switch.

Coyote

If both switches are doing it then sounds like a bad radio.

I can't make heads or tails about what test you did.

Ratfade

I did the test you suggested: pulled the connector from the back of the radio and connected the ohmmeter between the brown and white and violet and black wires and got less than one ohm when the mode select switch was pushed in.
But, as you said, since both switches give the same screwy result, maybe the problem is the radio.

Coyote

OK, so your test confirms the correct function for that switch. You should also check continuity from Brown/Wht to Pink/Wht and make sure this is none when you press Mode (but less than 1 ohm when pressing UP). Also from Brown/Wht to Grey/Wht you should have no continuity while pressing Mode (but less than 1 ohm when pressing DOWN). If that checks out, it's your radio.

Ratfade

Performed all tests as directed, and everything checks out...so...it does seem to be the radio. I'll either continue to enjoy the FM2 band or any one of the CD's from my Lawrence Welk collection :teeth:..or I'll find a used radio somewhere.
Thanks again.

Leed

Sounds like a good excuse to add an aftermarket radio, amp, speakers, etc, etc... :teeth:

Oh and a bubble maker to complement your CD collection.

Quote from: Ratfade on June 19, 2017, 12:27:18 PM
Performed all tests as directed, and everything checks out...so...it does seem to be the radio. I'll either continue to enjoy the FM2 band or any one of the CD's from my Lawrence Welk collection :teeth:..or I'll find a used radio somewhere.
Thanks again.

Ratfade

Quote from: Leed on June 19, 2017, 01:13:07 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to add an aftermarket radio, amp, speakers, etc, etc... :teeth:

Oh and a bubble maker to complement your CD collection.

Quote from: Ratfade on June 19, 2017, 12:27:18 PM
Thanks again.

Thank-a you, boys :teeth:.