May 04, 2024, 01:55:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Winterization. What do you do?

Started by Wingnut, November 10, 2008, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut

I live in the Buffalo area and ride up until the time salt trucks dump that that wonderful white stuff all over the roads. That should be any day now.  That is one thing you don't want all over your scoot. Just wanted to hear what some of you guy that live in the north do to put your bikes into hibernation. You members that live in Florida. California, and other sunny states, move on to the next subject.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

road-dawgs1

I change all three holes, wash and wax,  hookup to battery tender, full tank of gas with sta-bil in tank, and shoot a touch of oil down each spark plug hole
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

marc

Wash, wax , top off the tank, add some fuel stabilizer, battery tender and cover it up with a breathable cover...Gets fired up again in late March...

cody

I do all of the above but also lift bike off the ground with a lift to get weight off of the suspension and put two Golden Rods (like the type used in gun safes) under the breathable cover.

FXDBI

I pop out the patio sliders and ride it in thru the patio door down the hall to the living room. Park it on the side stand and polish it dreaming of snow free roads. No temperature changes so don't need worry about any moisture. Heck its my grandsons favorite seat,he sits on it and hugs and kisses it everytime he is here....Bob :smile:

Killer

I dont do any of that, I just dress warmer.
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

GoFast.....

Quote from: Killer on November 10, 2008, 07:05:12 PM
I tuck her in with a blanket and start singing, Looking for adventure head out on the highway, until she falls asleep for winter
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

ICANTD55

longjohns, warm jacket,gloves.
Oh you meant the bike. :wink:
Just dont mention snow plows around Mike52 LOL :teeth:
RICK , MA

bouncingVman

I usually change fluids in all three holes and filter change... If I'm really ambitious I drop the fork oil and replace. Wash the bike up and wipe any dirt off of the lace wheels. Check primary chain and readjust clutch if needed. Lube cables. Fill the fuel tank up and add fuel stabilizer run it a bit to condition the EFI. Take the battery out and put it on the charger once a month. Lower air presure in shocks and forks. Cover with cloth that allows air ventilation. Put the bike up on the stand and roll into the corner of my garage where it proceeds to get buried with other crap by spring .LOL.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

x52gnr

I get out my electric riding gear...I am good to about -10......I ride unless there is ice or snow :smile:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

quikbike

My primary and tranny are done once a year at the end of July so I don't touch those. Fresh oil. full gas tank with stabil run into the fuel system, wash and wax, bike on lift, connected to tender and covered. I don't start the bike til spring.

I hate snow

quikbike

I hate snow

Scramjet

Step 1 - Reach down and close fairing lowers

Step 2 - Pull on Roadgear riding pants

Step 3 - Plug in electric vest

Step 4 - Put Shampa hood under helmet

Rock On

Done...

B

P.S. Watch for ice
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

GaryD

I do what x52 does. I also change to 10/40 syn oil, toe warmer packets in my boots when I'm going to be out all day like at the Chicago Toys For Tots Parade. A spray of S&S Corrosion Protectant on the lower frame and wax on the chrome wheels.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

GaryD

Also, if you are not going to ride, cover the ends of the mufflers with a baggie or put steel wool in the opening---to keep the critters out.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

calgary56

Calgary, Alberta, Canada here, and I'm with X52.

Change the oil from 20W-50 to 15-W50, put on the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves, and as long as there's no ice or snow on the roads, I'm good to go (sometimes I've misjudged the weather and run into a bit of snow)

Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

hogmandon

I moved to warmer climate and ride all year long and like it

help-u2

ya, you north east guys will hate me...
i put on a light jackett and ride it.... it was 90 today...
when its 126 in july i ride in t-shirt and sweat....
so its trade off.....
just become a snow bird and come down south west...

Micah68kjv

Nothing
Bike is still filthy from riding. I keep her in good shape mechanically but she's uglier than homemade sin. Dirt all over her.
She gets a bath once or twice a year. Motor oil changed about every 4k miles. Ride her when I can and wash her when there is absolutely nothin' else to do. Usually I get shamed into washing her by comments from my buds. I used to keep my scoots all clean and purty but that got old, just like me.   :wink:

Dennis The Menace

I can relate to the salt...we have mag-chloride in Colorado and its hard on a bike.  But, once it dries and the road is free of ice, I ride.  Dont care how cold.  Yet.

God made heated gear for a reason.....To ride through winter!

Menace

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Killer on November 10, 2008, 07:05:12 PM

LOL... same here... our good riding season has just begun.  ;D

FLH

I take my bikes apart and make modifications and/or repairs and maint. items. Riding the bike in the winter does'nt intrigue me at all.
But I'll put some 3,000 miles on my snowmachine :teeth:

Here's my winter ride

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]