April 30, 2024, 12:24:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rushmore PTT switch

Started by drtumolo, June 23, 2017, 06:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drtumolo

Trying to understand the canbus system that Harley uses. I plan to purchase the cb ptt switch module and don't have a cb would it be possible to use the switch to control the air ride I am putting together? Someone mentioned to me they didn't think it would work due to the canbus so I am asking the "experts" here.

rigidthumper

The CanBus system uses a digital "word" to request functions when switches are pressed.  The CB module, as well as the radio and BCM recognise these "words" as commands, so there is no "press switch and transfer 12 volts" like older systems.  Now when you press a switch, a circuit board inside the switch housing sends a data string, like  "01101110" or "11011011", and the system recognises these as "activate left blinker" or "activate brake  lamp", "activate start relay", "turn on high beam", "transmit audio", etc. Since the air ride system needs standard power/ground to work properly, you're gonna have to wire that manually, with an external switch.
HTH
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?