May 03, 2024, 07:08:10 PM

News:

Primary chain and vibration?

Started by 1340evo, July 02, 2017, 01:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Here again... okay,, so I've pulled the primary cover off to get close up with the chain.. and it might be causing the vibration I'm getting...
it goes for about 1/4" movement to 3/4"... does this sound fooked?... and could it be the vibration problem?... It only happens 2500 rpm area and I'm sure you can push through?.. would a chain do this??
Only think now it getting the 1.5" nut off... I've just tried locking the brakes and a piece of wood in the primary chain... it don't want to move..

charlie

what makes u think its coming out of the primary :scratch:

thumper 823

I use a 3-foot cheater bar and a jack stand under the socket area so it does not jump off.
vibration.......
what kind of bike>? (model and year)
Vibration-
I dont know what the variance or tolerance is for the P chain.
They always have a more stretched side at one location it seems.
When in doubt..toss it out?
Inspect the sprocket for pointy teeth.
Inspect all motor mounts.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

1340evo

July 02, 2017, 11:28:48 PM #3 Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:09:06 AM by 1340evo
Not sure if I'd seen a post on P chain vibration... sort of adds up as your drive will be going on and off a bit due to the top length being a tad out as it rotates....
don't know.. do you not think vibration could come from this??

Deye76

How long has it been since the rubber mounts were changed?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

1340evo

All new... I've actualy drilled a few holes in the front one as it was very stiff.. helped a bit... may be the back ones are still hard also?

thumper 823

1340evo

the rubber.. to make it more compliant.. it was as hard as hell.. works a bit better now ;)

I put a 5mm hole at 12 / 3 / 6 and 9 oclock.. gives it somewhere to move into.. no idea what the shore hardness of the rubber should be.. but the mount was far too hard... worst case if it didn't work was to buy a new one :)

thumper 823

1340evo

working well now... when you load the engine onto it, they are meant to push down about 2mm.. this one didn't move!.. it goes down about 1.2mm now.. so after a bit of use it should be okay?....

Anyway.. can't get the big nut off.... any more thoughts on this anyone?... don't want to get the rattle gun on it if i can help it??.... would heat from a heat gun help??... I've got it jammed on the chain now.. may try a bar between the teeth, but don't want to damage them...

thumper 823

a 4 foot bar will do it.
Its only on there @150 lbs or so.

1340evo

well... i had a 2.5' and was maxed out.. I'd guess 150 LBS or so... and a wack with a hammer.. didn't go  :emsad:  .. do I go to 4' and try again.. hows best to lock the thing?.. i have wood in the front sprocket right now ann its locking out good, but still have the tensioner on or it would hit the inner cover at the top?... will also have to tun the front off the socket as its got a bit countersink at the front.. so only 1/2 way on the nut... what happens if it don't move.. any way else to get them off?.. grind it off LOL  :smileo:

BKACHE

I have a $20 plastic 'Barbie Stair' - it looks like a stair to a doll house that fits in the top of the chain/sprocket to take off and vice versa to install. Drop the tension on the chain adjuster so the adjuster does not brake the inner primary. Grind the leading edge of the socket flat to be able to get a good grip on the short nut top.
Dan

BKACHE

BTW - ya a 6 foot/meter breaker bar will still take some 225lb (my big arse) weight on it to break loose sometimes. I am sure you can make the 'Barbie stair' out of hardwood to fit the sprocket size.   
Dan

1340evo

Yup.. have tried that.. will try again tonight with a bigger breaker... I'm getting a slight rubbing sound and wondered if it was the stator.. also some strange electic things going on... may as well look whilst in here?..   

1340evo

very nice... all I have in a bit of tube LOL... but it will happen !!   :bike:

K4FXD

I'm not a primary expert, but I have seen three times now a bad basket bearing cause the wobble.
My test is to remove all clutch disks, leave the primary chain tensioned and spin the inner clutch hub. If the outer hub wobbles I replace the bearing even if it feels to be good. So far this has solved the problems. Vibration and hard shifting.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

1340evo

Thanks for that.. will check.. I should have the primary chain off tonight so will also test it with just the engine running.. see if it's that... Cheers.

K4FXD

July 05, 2017, 10:32:12 AM #19 Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:40:20 AM by K4FXD
What I have seen is the basket will run true till it gets some tension from the primary chain. So if you loosen it then spin, it might look to be good. I thought I was wasting my money the first time I saw this, but thought I'd gamble.

Hope you find it.

I also started using a sealed bearing. I think its the clutch dust that wears these out, I can't count how many HD's I've seen with the basket wobbling.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

1340evo

Great info.. thanks... will have a very close look.. as I say, running it with the chain off should give me a clue.. hopefully as smooth as silk? slack / tight spots in the chain won't help with this either....

But I still have to get the nut off!.. .6' tube coming tonight.. at what point are you liable to cause damage doing this  :smileo:

thumper 823

Hardware store and 4' schd  60 ought to do it.

nibroc

Quote from: BKACHE on July 03, 2017, 04:57:04 PM
I have a $20 plastic 'Barbie Stair' - it looks like a stair to a doll house that fits in the top of the chain/sprocket to take off and vice versa to install. Drop the tension on the chain adjuster so the adjuster does not brake the inner primary. Grind the leading edge of the socket flat to be able to get a good grip on the short nut top.

good advice---thanks

FTBY55

wondering what ever happened. how did you start motor with chain off?

xlfan

That 1.5" compensator nut might very well be drenched with a bottle of red loctite,  as red loctite is called for on that nut. Have you tried to apply some heat?