April 30, 2024, 12:02:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

stage 4 build broken ca bolt and the tensioner had no tension,

Started by happyman, July 06, 2017, 08:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyman

stage four build had problem after 1600 miles. making lot of racket first thought it was  a lifter issue  , but had wondered if it was possibly another issuer because it was a bit different sounding. anyway found the cam bolt had broke  after dealer did some checking.  the tensioner was a toe finger press which was barely any pressure to collaspe it.    so chain was very very loose. is or has this issue surfaced for anyone by chance.  the bike does not get beat on  so its not a deal where  motor is trashed

happyman

I see I misspelled some words in my haste.  used to be able to edit,  or delete. cannot  seem to find  how its done

rbabos

Quote from: happyman on July 07, 2017, 07:23:06 AM
I see I misspelled some words in my haste.  used to be able to edit  or delete. cannot  seem to find  how its done
There's a time limit to edit posts, about 2 hours more or less. Wait too long and you are stuck with your mistakes and we can see them forever. :teeth:
Ron

Scooterfish

First sorry to hear about your problems Happyman. As to the time limit on correcting posts, rbabos is correct, So when members have to much hooch and post then return hours later and see the errors and nonsense they posted they are there forever.   :emoGroan:Preach likes to read the good ones at Thursday shed meeting. :baby:
Northern Indiana

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

happyman

Quote from: Scooterfish on July 07, 2017, 08:32:37 AM
First sorry to hear about your problems Happyman. As to the time limit on correcting posts, rbabos is correct, So when members have to much hooch and post then return hours later and see the errors and nonsense they posted they are there forever.   :emoGroan:Preach likes to read the good ones at Thursday shed meeting. :baby:

I drink water tank you bery much haha , actually  I do not drink .  but I do fat finger  and not pay attention 

happyman

Quote from: Hossamania on July 07, 2017, 08:39:21 AM
Can't say as I've ever read about a cam bolt breaking.

yup pretty strange, and the tensioner compressing with two fingers  and a chain flopping around, got my attention. had it wrapped around the teeth  it would have been a bad day in paradise. parts and updated parts on the way ,   no a catastrophic engine failure thank goodness.

Sunny Jim

RXbob had broken cam bolt on twin cam. Did they use a new bolt or merely reuse the existing bolt?

happyman

Quote from: Sunny Jim on July 07, 2017, 05:01:07 PM
RXbob had broken cam bolt on twin cam. Did they use a new bolt or merely reuse the existing bolt?
New bolt . It is a first for me and first time I have heard of it.

koko3052

RXBOB

I have actually seen to broken bolts in twin cams now

JMHD

I found one on a 2017 stg 4 after 300 miles it broke making a valvetrain noise , the noise was the tensioner collapsing when the chain would whip when the valve was closing taking up the slack from the lost clampload from the broken bolt.New bolt used as well.

happyman

Quote from: JMHD on July 13, 2017, 09:07:59 PM
I found one on a 2017 stg 4 after 300 miles it broke making a valvetrain noise , the noise was the tensioner collapsing when the chain would whip when the valve was closing taking up the slack from the lost clampload from the broken bolt.New bolt used as well.
Would the broken cam bolt and the chain with all that slack cause valve damage?

happyman

Quote from: JMHD on July 13, 2017, 09:07:59 PM

also what is it that makes the hard knock when  the bike is raised so you can turn the motor over hard turning the rear wheel?  I cannot comprehend how that works but it is what it is. can't see to figure out why .

JMHD

No valve damage as the movement to cause the chain slack is very small ( sprocket play on cam splines)  the click noise is the tensioner bottoming out in its housing. If the bolt fell out that may be a different story.

happyman

Quote from: JMHD on July 14, 2017, 06:03:17 AM
No valve damage as the movement to cause the chain slack is very small ( sprocket play on cam splines)  the click noise is the tensioner bottoming out in its housing. If the bolt fell out that may be a different story.
The chain slack is large. The tensioner puked as did the tensioner plunger. Toll the motor over using rear wheel  a hard knock. Pull the cam with broken bolt and the junk tensioner plunger  tool it over then it's all quite

JMHD

Tensioner was still good in the one I saw, must have caught it soon enough as there was no damage beside the broken bolt and it stayed in the cam. Stuck a clothes pin behind the tensioner and the noise went away when rolling it over by hand. Then removed the cam bolt and it was holding by one thread but was loose. Chain slack was only enough to bottom the tensioner in this case.  Is yours repaired now?

happyman

Quote from: JMHD on July 14, 2017, 03:55:07 PM
Tensioner was still good in the one I saw, must have caught it soon enough as there was no damage beside the broken bolt and it stayed in the cam. Stuck a clothes pin behind the tensioner and the noise went away when rolling it over by hand. Then removed the cam bolt and it was holding by one thread but was loose. Chain slack was only enough to bottom the tensioner in this case.  Is yours repaired now?

No fix yet.had  several dat wait for parts. Should get the bike next thur.

happyman

An update. Replaced the cam bolt and other parts. At 3500 miles. Now at 5000 miles  have another cam bolt that failed.  No clue  as to why. I guess replace the bolt again and hope for the best.  Very  strange to say the least.

02FYRFTR

The threaded hole in the pinion shaft end may not be machined correctly and as a result torque is applied without the head of the bolt in contact with the end of the pinion shaft.

rbabos

Quote from: 02FYRFTR on August 15, 2017, 06:29:22 AM
The threaded hole in the pinion shaft end may not be machined correctly and as a result torque is applied without the head of the bolt in contact with the end of the pinion shaft.
Think you meant cam face but regardless, that should be easy to see or feel when torquing, if the tech has a clue.  I agree, it could bring on bolt failure if that's the case as you would be just about be twisting it off at the last thread and any cyclic head loading would finish it off from fatigue.
Ron

hogpipes1

Quote from: happyman on July 07, 2017, 06:07:18 PM
New bolt . It is a first for me and first time I have heard of it.
Funny that was the 1 st item that shut down the new million mile tested T-CAM  in 99. Cam bolt snapped at head .bolt had thread's cut all the way to the head shoulder which made it a weak point to snap.  some people learn by mistakes, some never do. When are you going to wake up  MOCO.?

happyman

Quote from: rbabos on August 15, 2017, 06:54:32 AM
Think you meant cam face but regardless, that should be easy to see or feel when torquing, if the tech has a clue.  I agree, it could bring on bolt failure if that's the case as you would be just about be twisting it off at the last thread and any cyclic head loading would finish it off from fatigue.
Ron
the last bolt broke at the surface and perhaps the way it was cut next to the clamping surface has something to so with it.  its cut in my opinion, too deep and wide taking away too much material from bolt.   so it just may be lacking strength due  to lack of diameter ??

1FSTRK

Quote from: happyman on August 15, 2017, 07:48:13 PM
Ron
the last bolt broke at the surface and perhaps the way it was cut next to the clamping surface has something to so with it.  its cut in my opinion, too deep and wide taking away too much material from bolt.   so it just may be lacking strength due  to lack of diameter ??

More likely just like the twin cam bolts the original parts that pasted testing were fine and then parts for production were sourced from the lowest bidder. Not a design flaw.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

happyman

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 16, 2017, 02:36:36 PM
Quote from: happyman on August 15, 2017, 07:48:13 PM
Ron

More likely just like the twin cam bolts the original parts that pasted testing were fine and then parts for production were sourced from the lowest bidder. Not a design flaw.
if  this keeps up  it will be down  a lot in one season at every 1500 miles if you do 10 through, 15 thousand miles.    I tend to think perhaps  there may be more to it but just never know.  . 

koko3052

Dealer should be giving you a rider at the very least. 2 cam bolts in such a short period! :slap: :sick:

happyman

Quote from: koko3052 on August 18, 2017, 06:18:31 AM
Dealer should be giving you a rider at the very least. 2 cam bolts in such a short period! :slap: :sick:

I do not plan on being treated fairly by  HD, theses days. 

koko3052

happyman

Quote from: koko3052 on August 18, 2017, 07:25:53 AM
Yes...and that comes down right from the top! :banghead:
yes I know,  if this keeps going the way it has been going last five years, getting  worse at taking care of customers and running into ugly attitudes from some shops and the people you call with  issues with our bikes  the company is headed for big trouble  is all I can see coming their way. most  are good to talk to but some should never be in the job they have . taking to more than one person and getting a different answer each time  and then have a person get po'd at you for calling back.   then having the balls to tell you to never call again.  something very wrong in this picture.

koko3052

Jesus.....that would drive a person to ride a Hondamatic! :cry:

happyman

Quote from: koko3052 on August 19, 2017, 06:26:08 AM
Jesus.....that would drive a person to ride a Hondamatic! :cry:
a lot of the problems we face today is because we  the people who continue to purchase the product, despite it being sub standard quality,  are the enablers so they just keep on doing what they do.   its not going to change till the we quit pouring our hard earned $$$ into the problematic product.  leaving it in a dealership for weeks at a time  and having to argue   and put up the  disrespect which many customers are subjected to.

Reddog74usa

Very sorry to hear of the issues your having with the moco happyman. I have been advocating holding their feet to the fire for years now. As long as they can sell a substandard product and get away with it they'll do it. Was going to buy one last new bike when I retired however with the state of h-d at this time they can forget about it, but that's just me.  Sad to see them go down like this but that is the way there headed if things don't change, and I mean QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT