April 30, 2024, 07:48:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

stage 4 build broken ca bolt and the tensioner had no tension,

Started by happyman, July 06, 2017, 08:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FSTRK

Quote from: happyman on August 15, 2017, 07:48:13 PM
Quote from: rbabos on August 15, 2017, 06:54:32 AM
Quote from: 02FYRFTR on August 15, 2017, 06:29:22 AM
The threaded hole in the pinion shaft end may not be machined correctly and as a result torque is applied without the head of the bolt in contact with the end of the pinion shaft.
Think you meant cam face but regardless, that should be easy to see or feel when torquing, if the tech has a clue.  I agree, it could bring on bolt failure if that's the case as you would be just about be twisting it off at the last thread and any cyclic head loading would finish it off from fatigue.
Ron
the last bolt broke at the surface and perhaps the way it was cut next to the clamping surface has something to so with it.  its cut in my opinion, too deep and wide taking away too much material from bolt.   so it just may be lacking strength due  to lack of diameter ??

More likely just like the twin cam bolts the original parts that pasted testing were fine and then parts for production were sourced from the lowest bidder. Not a design flaw.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

happyman

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 16, 2017, 02:36:36 PM
Quote from: happyman on August 15, 2017, 07:48:13 PM
Quote from: rbabos on August 15, 2017, 06:54:32 AM
Quote from: 02FYRFTR on August 15, 2017, 06:29:22 AM
The threaded hole in the pinion shaft end may not be machined correctly and as a result torque is applied without the head of the bolt in contact with the end of the pinion shaft.
Think you meant cam face but regardless, that should be easy to see or feel when torquing, if the tech has a clue.  I agree, it could bring on bolt failure if that's the case as you would be just about be twisting it off at the last thread and any cyclic head loading would finish it off from fatigue.
Ron
the last bolt broke at the surface and perhaps the way it was cut next to the clamping surface has something to so with it.  its cut in my opinion, too deep and wide taking away too much material from bolt.   so it just may be lacking strength due  to lack of diameter ??

More likely just like the twin cam bolts the original parts that pasted testing were fine and then parts for production were sourced from the lowest bidder. Not a design flaw.
if  this keeps up  it will be down  a lot in one season at every 1500 miles if you do 10 through, 15 thousand miles.    I tend to think perhaps  there may be more to it but just never know.  . 

koko3052

Dealer should be giving you a rider at the very least. 2 cam bolts in such a short period! :slap: :sick:

happyman

Quote from: koko3052 on August 18, 2017, 06:18:31 AM
Dealer should be giving you a rider at the very least. 2 cam bolts in such a short period! :slap: :sick:

I do not plan on being treated fairly by  HD, theses days. 

koko3052

happyman

Quote from: koko3052 on August 18, 2017, 07:25:53 AM
Yes...and that comes down right from the top! :banghead:
yes I know,  if this keeps going the way it has been going last five years, getting  worse at taking care of customers and running into ugly attitudes from some shops and the people you call with  issues with our bikes  the company is headed for big trouble  is all I can see coming their way. most  are good to talk to but some should never be in the job they have . taking to more than one person and getting a different answer each time  and then have a person get po'd at you for calling back.   then having the balls to tell you to never call again.  something very wrong in this picture.

koko3052

Jesus.....that would drive a person to ride a Hondamatic! :cry:

happyman

Quote from: koko3052 on August 19, 2017, 06:26:08 AM
Jesus.....that would drive a person to ride a Hondamatic! :cry:
a lot of the problems we face today is because we  the people who continue to purchase the product, despite it being sub standard quality,  are the enablers so they just keep on doing what they do.   its not going to change till the we quit pouring our hard earned $$$ into the problematic product.  leaving it in a dealership for weeks at a time  and having to argue   and put up the  disrespect which many customers are subjected to.

Reddog74usa

Very sorry to hear of the issues your having with the moco happyman. I have been advocating holding their feet to the fire for years now. As long as they can sell a substandard product and get away with it they'll do it. Was going to buy one last new bike when I retired however with the state of h-d at this time they can forget about it, but that's just me.  Sad to see them go down like this but that is the way there headed if things don't change, and I mean QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT