May 02, 2024, 01:18:13 AM

News:

Stator / Rotor.. are these standard bits?

Started by 1340evo, July 07, 2017, 12:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Sorry for all the posts but no one local to ask...
I'm getting the battery drain down if not running fast and have a couple of new rectifiers that came with the bike so the last owner also had issues.. I'm thinking the rotor here is standard.. but is the stator?.. looks like very thick wire, maybe could do with thinner stuff to get better volts??.. also think it may be 42 amp unit and I have 32 amp regs...

[attach=0]

Burnout

The rotor is an early unit probably off a Shovel.

The stator is 32A (I think) the plug style will tell.

Voltage across the stator when running should be ~60V AC

There should be no continuity to ground on the stator.

Regulator needs a good ground, I use a star washer.

With the motor at ~2500rpm the battery voltage should be just under 15v.

Don't change the connector on a regulator, the connector should match the stator.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

baldoldfxr

If the rotor has been knocked about a lot such as over enthusiastic use of an impact driver they can lose magnetism which could cause the charging problem hard to tell without a known good rotor to compare it too, IE you have to judge if it grabs a spanner or similar with the same amount of force.

1340evo

Shovel??.. not a 1989 FXR?... Lok like its a bit of a mix then??
The plug has been 'shaped' a bit at the back.. I assume to get it up the hole in the casting?....
Also, 60V.. that sounds alot.. is that the same for all Evo's?...
I did wonder if it was a 42AMP stator and that was the problem with my 32AMP rectifier?

BTW.. just taken the clutch off and the taper is split, key bent and main shaft fooked... OMG.. it's not my day is it?...

May start a new thread see if I can get the bits  :banghead:

farmall

July 08, 2017, 12:17:47 PM #4 Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:46:09 PM by farmall
 I have a 79 and 82 Shovel,  and 1999 and 1994 Evo FXRs and they all take the same rotors and stators.  I've worked on many more yet never seen nor heard of that unusual style rotor. I expect it's aftermarket. I like the design with that magnet retainer.

When I get a new-to-me Harley it gets a Cycle Electric rotor/stator/rectifier-regulator. They now offer versions with the connection away from the primary cover instead of the failure-prone old arrangement. I can troubleshoot just fine and was an avionics weenie in a past life, but IMO charging systems on old bikes and autos are best rocketed into the trash when components aren't rebuildable. If I don't know belt age that gets replaced too. They all fail sooner or later so I prefer "later".

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/Diegnosing%20Alternators.htm

It's a really good idea to spooge some dielectric grease in the alternator/regulator connector to exclude water and oil. It' will live much longer and be easier to connect/disconnect. The stuff is also good for spark plug boots.  Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease is common at auto stores and online.