April 27, 2024, 04:27:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Is the tapered 84-89 main shaft really that bad????...........

Started by 1340evo, July 11, 2017, 01:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Is the 84-89 tapered shaft really that bad?... I know I have a chewed up one now but that's because the inner hub has split for some reason.. I'd guess overtightening of the nut, poor manufacture of the part (square corners in the keyway leading to cracking or poor material) or undertighterning of the nut... When I removed it, the nut came off quite easily.. But the hub was still stuck on the taper and I had to make a puller to pull it off...
So installed right with a quality part... is it worth the change?

I think the upgrade to the 90 splined shaft with a 90-93 clutch is a good idea, but people have forgotten a lot of what's involved (primaries, push rods etc)... and the bits are not that easy to find here in the UK... (I'd like to see the part before buying if poss)...
It would also be a lot cheaper to put back the taper set up?..

So, is it worth doing.. or stick with the taper and hope it lasts?...

FSG

later hubs have a steel center, there's also a reinforcing ring to prevent the inner cracking at the keyway

so it depends on the $$$$ and time available

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/VTwinProd1_10101_10102_3297178_-1

1340evo

It's a steel one thats cracked on mine.. the ring is interesting though...

So.. is it stop with the taper option??  In theory like a morse taper on a drill bit, it should be capable of tranmitting many tones of drive without failing...?

Burnout

It's not bad materials or a bad part, it is a POS design. There is no fixing it.

The reinforcement ring does not work. I have cracked hubs with the ring installed.
I have tried lapping the hub to the shaft and careful torquing of the retaining nut.
It always fails.

There is nothing wrong with the tapered shaft, it was used for years on the four speeds with little problem.
The problem with the four speed clutch was rotating mass and basket wobble.
The huge four speed hub did not flex and held a great grip on the taper.

The problem with the tapered shaft 5 speed clutch is the hub design and bearing used.
The rotating mass of the hub was reduced and a big bearing was used to support the basket.
They took so much mass out of the hub there was not enough strength for it to hold the taper.
Then they cut the keyway slot and introduced a stress riser and an easy place for it to crack.

Crack is what the engineers were smoking!

And whoever told you, you have to change primary covers is also smoking the same "Potty mouth".
If you change primary covers you also have to change starters and I'm sure the trans case too.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

Fair point.. and yes.. you do have fracture points in the key slot.. TBH it would probably work better without the key slot!...

so back to splines?.. 90 shaft, 90-93 clutch.... still looking :)

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Burnout on July 11, 2017, 04:45:10 AM
It's not bad materials or a bad part, it is a POS design. There is no fixing it.

The reinforcement ring does not work. I have cracked hubs with the ring installed.
I have tried lapping the hub to the shaft and careful torquing of the retaining nut.
It always fails.

There is nothing wrong with the tapered shaft, it was used for years on the four speeds with little problem.
The problem with the four speed clutch was rotating mass and basket wobble.
The huge four speed hub did not flex and held a great grip on the taper.

The problem with the tapered shaft 5 speed clutch is the hub design and bearing used.
The rotating mass of the hub was reduced and a big bearing was used to support the basket.
They took so much mass out of the hub there was not enough strength for it to hold the taper.
Then they cut the keyway slot and introduced a stress riser and an easy place for it to crack.

Crack is what the engineers were smoking!

And whoever told you, you have to change primary covers is also smoking the same "Potty mouth".
If you change primary covers you also have to change starters and I'm sure the trans case too.

Spot on!!
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

Quote from: 1340evo on July 11, 2017, 04:38:58 AM
It's a steel one thats cracked on mine.. the ring is interesting though...

So.. is it stop with the taper option??  In theory like a morse taper on a drill bit, it should be capable of tranmitting many tones of drive without failing...?

we still have a lot of these rings in stock if anyone wants one,they wont repair a already cracked hub,and are only a band aid for the hub not cracking in the first place.better off going to the later splined stuff

tomfiii

They are ok if the ring has been placed ,which HD did on the -A or -B ,also the clutch hub replacement with the steel center is great.

1340evo

ok.. just had a wobble when primarys were mentioned.. back to plan A...

so will this clutch do

[url=http://www.1990-Harley-Davidson-FLHS-Electra-Glide-Clutch-Basket-w-Primary-Gear-Chain

cheers

Mark222

1340evo

Mmmm $350 by the time its here?.. bit expensive... shaft another $200 plus?....

will keep a look out this side

Actuasly, part of our company is in NJ... wonder how much to ship there... will ask ;)

thanks for all your help guy's... limited knowadge this side...

Burnout

For $200 you can get a complete take out gear set off Ebay Up to 05? will fit.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

Maybe.. but it delivery and tax that kills it here.. .You pay 20% on the bit AND shipping costs.. plus a UK delivery cost of around £8

so $200 and $50 to ship ends up being at least $310 delivered....  :emsad:

Rugby_fxdwg

Dumb question is how do you know you've got an issue before you take it apart? Is it an issue shifting our pouring out? Don't mean to hijack the thread but would like to know how ya found the issue...
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

1340evo

you probably only know when you get vibration (nut lose or drum puhed back due to split) or you lose drive.. I was actually checking the stator to see if it had come lose... and it all went south from there ....

Rugby_fxdwg

Sorry that really sucks... I'm hopeful ya get her back on the road soon with out a lot of $$$$
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

1340evo

ok.. thanks.. all bits ordered and the bike pulled in bits ready for when they get here... output shaft spacer is still to be okked at as people say a 89 one isnt too good.. dont know why.. maybe they crack?... may be worth replacing with a better one if anyone has the info... cheers.