2000 1200S: time to fix the Rocker Cover oil leak

Started by PC_Hater, July 21, 2017, 05:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC_Hater

There has been a steady slow leak from the front rocker cover for many a year. Drips a bit when parked, splatters back on the rear head. Time to fix it and see if I can do something about the very rattly valve gear!
The tank is off, the coils are off (twin-plugs on the 1200S), and I'm reading the manual to see how much of the wiring and stuff Harley think I have to move to get the covers off.

I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.
The central plugs on the 1200S are _really_ difficult to get at, I assume they are the original plugs from new. I have new plug wires and plugs ready, may as well do it while I am there.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

PC_Hater

The front rocker cover is off. Clean as a whistle in there, you would think it was brand new. A couple of bolts weren't as tight as they should be, the result of 17 years and 13,000 miles of vibration I suppose.
There was a lot of oil on the LHS gasket surface, not surprised as I think that is where the oil leak was from.
The rocker shafts move to and fro with light finger pressure - and that was with a bit of pressure on them from slightly open valves.

Next step is to remove the pushrods and covers and see what the front lifters are like.

Hossamania

Maybe try some Rocker Lockers to quiet the valve train a bit?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

Quote from: Hossamania on July 21, 2017, 11:25:02 PM

at least check the shafts for witness marks

PC_Hater

Quote from: Hossamania on July 21, 2017, 11:25:02 PM
I have them ready to go in!
I haven't cleaned everything up yet to see if there are any witness marks.

PC_Hater

FRONT CYLINDER.
Both rocker bolts at the pushrod end have definite witness marks.
The exhaust rocker shaft has a definite witness mark.
The inlet rocker shaft has a vague witness mark.

The Rocker Lockers are going in the evening.

PC_Hater

Rocker Lockers installed in the front rockers.
Front cylinder lifters inspected - seem fine as far as I can tell.
Front cylinder goes back together tomorrow, rear cylinder comes apart.

PC_Hater

Cleaning all of the traces of old gasket from the mating surfaces was a bit of a pain - took much longer than expected! The 4 gaskets for the 4 bolts that hold the top rocker cover on were especially difficult. One of the 'benefits' of not being disturbed for 17 years I suppose.

A note on the Rocker Cover Gasket Set 17036-91A has gaskets and seals for both the old rigid mount bikes and the new rubber mount bikes. I had to do a trial dry install to work it all out, and some of the gaskets are now very different.

The front cover is on. The rear cover is off, some of those bolts are close to the frame, I can see some of them getting torqued by 'feel' instead of by torque wrench!
The rear rocker shafts and bolts have marks from the shafts rattling around too - glad I got the Rocker Lockers.

PC_Hater

The rocker assembly for the rear cylinder is back on.
It is a very tight fit in there! It took me a at least 5 minutes trying to get the rocker assembly to fit on - it would _not_ slide between the frame and the valves and pushrods. I knew I had taken it so I ought to be able to get it back!
I slid it in place without the pushrods installed then lifted and twisted to get the pushrods in.

All bolts properly torqued except the rear allen head bolt which is very close to the frame, no way could I persuade the torque wrench on that. I did that one by feel.

On both the front and rear rocker plates the holes for oil to drain out of the breather assembly were partly blocked by casting flash. I opened them up like on the Twin Cam rockers.

PC_Hater

It's done! The god-awful racket from the valve gear that I thought was something horribly expensive was fixed by using the Rocker Lockers.

The 1200S has dual-plugs and you have to take the tank off to get at them so I fitted nice new ones in there whether they were needed or not.
Replacing the dual coils and spark plugs in the correct places is a slow business, it is very tight in there and it really does only go back in one way! The manual is a big help.

Now I need to take it for a ride and change the engine and transmission oils.

PC_Hater

The oil change is done.
New rear tyre fitted.
Primary chain checked.
Just needs the transmission oil changed.
Fitting the new rear tyre has given a very noticeable improvement in handling!