May 03, 2024, 01:17:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

High temps?

Started by cmashark, July 22, 2017, 07:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmashark

Cruising in 3rd gear at about 2600, I watched my coolant go to 219, head temp was 303, and engine temp was 289. Ground was level, no real load on bike, and no cars in front of me. Bike said ambient temp was 96. No pinging or anything, just really hot! Once I got home I used my infrared gun on the oil coated part of the dipstick and it showed 219.

I am running a Power Vision with Target Tune, full Fuel Moto exhaust, and stock CVO air cleaner. My leanest AFR is 14:1. FM converted my stage 3 map into a TT map. I've done numerous auto tunes and now they are always within 2-5%.

It's crazy that cruising around 40mph can cause temps to climb this high. Love the bike and love the power, but I shouldn't feel like a fireball going down the road.

My S&S HC124 that Chad (at WIde Open Cycles) installed in my last bike and tuned never ran over 280 when moving on the hottest of days. Maybe these 11:1 engines need a cam like the 640 that will bleed off some of the compression at lower rpms?

Chris
2021 FLHXSE

NCTURBOS

I asked this question yesterday as riding mine to work in the a.m. in 80* outside temps., my head temps. were 320*-330*, and my engine temps. were approx. 305*.

It seems to be the norm., compared to what everyone else is seeing.

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

cmashark

Wish there was a decent place to stick an oil cooler on it.  The water cooling really gets in the way...
2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

Just did the M1450 on mine....  got 8 ounces.  Guess it's time to call the dealer.  Damn.
2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

Just got off the phone with the dealer.... taking it in tomorrow.
2021 FLHXSE

harleytuner

Quote from: cmashark on July 22, 2017, 07:03:24 AM
Cruising in 3rd gear at about 2600, I watched my coolant go to 219, head temp was 303, and engine temp was 289. Ground was level, no real load on bike, and no cars in front of me. Bike said ambient temp was 96. No pinging or anything, just really hot! Once I got home I used my infrared gun on the oil coated part of the dipstick and it showed 219.

I am running a Power Vision with Target Tune, full Fuel Moto exhaust, and stock CVO air cleaner. My leanest AFR is 14:1. FM converted my stage 3 map into a TT map. I've done numerous auto tunes and now they are always within 2-5%.

It's crazy that cruising around 40mph can cause temps to climb this high. Love the bike and love the power, but I shouldn't feel like a fireball going down the road.

My S&S HC124 that Chad (at WIde Open Cycles) installed in my last bike and tuned never ran over 280 when moving on the hottest of days. Maybe these 11:1 engines need a cam like the 640 that will bleed off some of the compression at lower rpms?

Chris

Do you trust the o2 sensors in your TT kit?  Remember how far they were off on you other bike when you first brought it in? I don't think your temps are to high Grimm what I've seen and heard. The temp sensor is located in the rear head now as opposed to in the front head on the twin cams.  Higher temps than what we are used to are too be expected.  .maybe find a dyno and have them verify your o2's are reading the same as what there's are.

cmashark

Good question Chad.  Without a dyno, there is no solid way to verify them.  I think the closest well known dyno is Durwood up in Evansville. He's about 270 miles from me.  For some reason, I thought he was in the Kansas City area  :nix:

Once the dealer get done with the bike, I plan on setting something up with him, maybe he could knock it out.  Wish I was still a short drive from you.... or had my RK back. Lol

Chris
2021 FLHXSE

harleytuner

Quote from: cmashark on July 22, 2017, 04:42:59 PM
Good question Chad.  Without a dyno, there is no solid way to verify them.  I think the closest well known dyno is Durwood up in Evansville. He's about 270 miles from me.  For some reason, I thought he was in the Kansas City area  :nix:

Once the dealer get done with the bike, I plan on setting something up with him, maybe he could knock it out.  Wish I was still a short drive from you.... or had my RK back. Lol

Chris

It can't hurt to see if he can verify your tune anyways.   Probably be a nice ride.  I read that yippy discovered your bike is sumping? That can cause some pretty serious heat problems.

cmashark

July 22, 2017, 05:23:25 PM #8 Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:29:20 PM by cmashark
Quote from: harleytuner on July 22, 2017, 04:59:20 PM

Chris

It can't hurt to see if he can verify your tune anyways.   Probably be a nice ride.  I read that yippy discovered your bike is sumping? That can cause some pretty serious heat problems.

Yeah, I did the test twice.  8-9 ounces in a measuring cup.  I'm wondering.  If I am cruising down the street, I can watch my temps climb, but if I stop at a long stop light, I can watch them drop about 5 degrees each.

Edit: I had the idle AFR set at 13.8 and cruise are set to 14.1....
2021 FLHXSE

harleytuner

Quote from: cmashark on July 22, 2017, 05:23:25 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on July 22, 2017, 04:59:20 PM

Chris

Yeah, I did the test twice.  8-9 ounces in a measuring cup.  I'm wondering.  If I am cruising down the street, I can watch my temps climb, but if I stop at a long stop light, I can watch them drop about 5 degrees each.

At idle the pump will remove the oil from the sump pretty decently so that makes sense. At higher RPM's the pump can't keep up removing the amount of oil from the sump as is, being pumped into it.  Hopefully if they can fix your sumping issue it'll fix your heat issue.   Have you been watching gouge trans and primary fluid levels?

cmashark

Yes.  So far no loss. I'm changing it every 3k so I can measure it and check it several times a week.
2021 FLHXSE