May 04, 2024, 12:43:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

anyone having any issues with the transmission on the M8

Started by happyman, July 22, 2017, 10:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyman

curious if there are any issues on the  transmissions, or gear cluster puking? 

les

I rented an M8 Limited this past weekend for a 4-day trip.  I had to really struggle to find neutral.  Lots of klunking.  I'd recommend the Baker shift drum, which really made a big difference with my 2011 Road King.

Buglet

Had a customer had two, in his first one was a gear set second one was a complete both were replace in the first 1000 miles. both went out shifting first to second.

Sunny Jim

msrider

4500 miles no issues added stage one street cannons se air filter se pro street tuner at 1000 miles no problems so far.

mrmarr

had gear pack replaced under 1000 mi. Would drop out of gear after about 3 seconds if shifted at 2K.

88b

Saw a video on the FB Road Glide owner group , had a gear wobbling about . You can't share from that page or I'd have copied it .

flh canuck

My buddy just bought a new 2017 Road King. He asked me to test ride it as the the transmission makes a strange click sound after shifting up into 2nd and 3rd. Maybe this has something to do with the slipper clutch?

I really don't like the fact that you can feel feed back through the hydraulic clutch every time you shift gears. Not to mention the really late engagement of the clutch near the end of the lever travel. The dealer told my buddy this is normal. I was thinking of purchasing a new M8 after the 2018 models come out but if this is the new normal, I might just stick with my good old '13 model for a while longer....
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

Kansas

I have small hands and the late engagement of the clutch is a safety hazard when the clutch needs to be finessed. I called Harley and registered my unhappiness. I changed levers which didn't solve the problem but helped a little.  Harley needs a kit or something to address the issue. Not everybody has long fingers.  Trans works fine and neutral is about as hard to find as any other HD.

rbabos

Quote from: Kansas on August 06, 2017, 03:18:03 PM
I have small hands and the late engagement of the clutch is a safety hazard when the clutch needs to be finessed. I called Harley and registered my unhappiness. I changed levers which didn't solve the problem but helped a little.  Harley needs a kit or something to address the issue. Not everybody has long fingers.  Trans works fine and neutral is about as hard to find as any other HD.
That's just the nature of all hydro clutches with end of travel or late engagement. I'm pretty sure MoCo has more to worry about then short fingers. :idunno:
Ron

sobrbiker

Rented a 2017 RG last weekend that shifted about like my Ultima 6 speed builders kit did when it had a loose stud on a countershaft shift fork :crook:
950mi in two days made me miss my old 99 with 105k on the clock.

SLAATY

Hate to admit this because overall I respect my dealer's parts and service dept's, but they ARE starting to annoy me.

First is the trans migration issue. It's only happened to me once, and after that I dumped the Formula+ for Spectro 75/140 synth. Nonetheless when I took it in for the concern nothing was done because 1: could not duplicate (no kidding?), and 2: tech assist called it normal thru the clutch rod (venting). That was strike one. I cruise at 75 and typically shift at around 2700 rpm; that may explain why I've only seen this phenomenon one time...

Second is a difficult 1-2 upshift cold. I've had HDs for decades, and four new ones in the last seven years - I know how they should feel. When this was mentioned I was advised "It's new, give it time.". I've serviced the trans twice now (14,000 mi.), with no improvement. I'll be taking it in over the winter and I'd better not hear it's normal again...

happyman

Quote from: SLAATY on September 02, 2017, 03:33:45 AM
Hate to admit this because overall I respect my dealer's parts and service dept's, but they ARE starting to annoy me.

First is the trans migration issue. It's only happened to me once, and after that I dumped the Formula+ for Spectro 75/140 synth. Nonetheless when I took it in for the concern nothing was done because 1: could not duplicate (no kidding?), and 2: tech assist called it normal thru the clutch rod (venting). That was strike one. I cruise at 75 and typically shift at around 2700 rpm; that may explain why I've only seen this phenomenon one time...

Second is a difficult 1-2 upshift cold. I've had HDs for decades, and four new ones in the last seven years - I know how they should feel. When this was mentioned I was advised "It's new, give it time.". I've serviced the trans twice now (14,000 mi.), with no improvement. I'll be taking it in over the winter and I'd better not hear it's normal again...
unfortunately t is normal. its normal for parts to fail is what they ment to say.  or should have stated.   from about 2010 seems to have gone from bad to worse.

dakota224

Remember the Lemon Law, it works, My Dad bought a NEW Chevy Truck with a bad tranny, chevy said its ok, 3 times they said that, he hired a Lawyer and got a brand new truck & all fees paid.. :bike:

Scooterfish

Apparently some states don`t include motorcycles in their lemon law. I can`t remember the state but recently read of a state that was adding motorcycles to their lemon law. Which all states should. IMO
Northern Indiana

Tynker

Quote from: flh canuck on August 05, 2017, 07:57:20 AM
My buddy just bought a new 2017 Road King. He asked me to test ride it as the the transmission makes a strange click sound after shifting up into 2nd and 3rd. Maybe this has something to do with the slipper clutch?

I really don't like the fact that you can feel feed back through the hydraulic clutch every time you shift gears. Not to mention the really late engagement of the clutch near the end of the lever travel. The dealer told my buddy this is normal. I was thinking of purchasing a new M8 after the 2018 models come out but if this is the new normal, I might just stick with my good old '13 model for a while longer....

I have a 17 Tri Glide, I too felt the feedback in the clutch lever every time I shifted. At 1000 miles, I replaced the tranny oil with SYN 75/140, and it cured the feedback. It now shifts like butter. It is also a lot quieter also.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Wildbill2222

I have a 2018 had shifting issues from 1st gear took to dealership found shavings in transmission they have had my bike and till this point have done nothing but drain tranny fluid