May 09, 2024, 08:33:58 AM

News:

wet speedo

Started by China twin 88, July 25, 2017, 10:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

China twin 88

Know a guy  ... who called me the other day with a speed'o problem ... told me it had been out an a rather hard rain .. and he went to start it ..  he said some flashing but I could never could figure out what was flashing from his description  ... started the bike and went bout his day but on the way home in the evening dark he noticed no light was showing from his speed'o ... he went to the dealer who he sez, and this may be from translation point .. told him that the speed'o on his 883 was custom .. and it was fried .. and should be replace with a stock one .. his 883 is a 2014... and so he purchased a new speed'o with a analogue top and digital bottom but as he reported to me it would have cost extra to hook up the rpm's.... now my first thought was if they are replacing it with a stock one, it looks nothing like the stock one that came with the bike (as far as I know. see pic) and if replacing it with a stock part, would not all the hookups be on the wiring harness already...

I have no interest in disagreeing with any dealer but for curiosity sake,  I wanted to post some pics here and see if any thought would emerge ...
I have had moisture in  a speed'o (not my current 883) and it has caused no problems, so I wondered at the ability to fry a unit due to rain getting into the gauges.

I thought this speedo'o looked like the stock item shipped with 2014, but he insist that he was informed it was custom .. again .. not sure as to what was incl. in the exchange (but it was non-confrontational ) so it may have been his misunderstanding....

have any ideas as to the pics

LMMC/LAMF

Karl H.

The speedo I see in your pix is stock! The sticker shows the correct H-D part number (70900216) and production year (2014). BTW: 2014 is the year the Sportster got the CAN-Bus and therefore a new speedo type.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

FSG

Your pix are of a Stock Speedo on a 2014 XL

Below is the Combination Digital Speedometer/Analog Tachometer P/N 70900100C for use on NON US Models,
and fits these 2014 Models  (a convenient tachometer for 2014 Sportster models)

Street Bob FXDB
Low Rider FXDL
Wide Glide FXDWG
Breakout FXSB
Sportster 1200 Custom XL1200C
SuperLow 1200T XL1200T
Seventy Two XL1200V
Forty Eight XL1200X
SuperLow XL883L
Iron 883 XL883N

What is the P/N of the Combination that's been fitted?

FSG

How to enter setup mode Digital Speedometer Analog Tachometer 70900100C and 70900475

http://youtu.be/kykuoLncH7k

https://youtu.be/kykuoLncH7k

China twin 88

July 26, 2017, 04:24:47 PM #4 Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:25:00 PM by China twin 88
thanx, clears that  up ... like I said  for my own curiosity .... about his understanding form the wrench as to the moisture on the inside of the speed'o and the reported frying of the unit
LMMC/LAMF