How does a trike dyno result compared to regular bike dyno.

Started by bluerim, July 26, 2017, 06:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerim

After following Fuel Moto dyno results for the new Milwaukee 8 motor I calculated percentage changes with the various changes in parts dyno'd.
I calculated up to an approximate 39 % increase in Hp and 17% increase in TQ.  Using a stage two build on my 2017 Triglide very similar to that used by Fuel Moto testing. The  dyno test result is approx. 16 % less power showing. Parasitic losses on a trike dyno have been reported by others with the same loss %.   The Fuel Moto test build with jackpot pipes and woods 222 cam yielded 112 hp, 115.9 TQ on a bike dyno . On my TriGlide the similar build showed 96.85 hp and 100.3 TQ on a trike dyno.  This is only an approximation because of so many different factors. The point here is to understand that both types of Dynos show different results on motors producing very similar power.   It sure livened up my TriGlide.

PM me if you need to see the Trike dyno sheet.

Durwood

This is an interesting subject for me as I own a 250IX, would you mind posting the graph here?

Thanks Daren

harleytuner

Did you get a basline on your trike before the mods? 

harleytuner

Quote from: Durwood on July 27, 2017, 04:51:20 AM
This is an interesting subject for me as I own a 250IX, would you mind posting the graph here?

Thanks Daren

Darren, when I was at Roeders we built our trike dyno using 2 dyno, a 250i and we added an old 200 to it for the trike.  Dynojet calibrated software for us.  We had a removable drive shaft that we hooked up for the trike, removed for a 2 wheeler. When in trike mode we ran the winpep for trikes that DJ made and the results were always very close to a similar build on a 2 wheeler.  My question is, how is the 250ix set up?  Does the 2nd drum always turn, even when running a 2 wheeler? 

Durwood

Quote from: harleytuner on July 27, 2017, 04:58:42 AM
Quote from: Durwood on July 27, 2017, 04:51:20 AM

Thanks Daren

Darren, when I was at Roeders we built our trike dyno using 2 dyno, a 250i and we added an old 200 to it for the trike.  Dynojet calibrated software for us.  We had a removable drive shaft that we hooked up for the trike, removed for a 2 wheeler. When in trike mode we ran the winpep for trikes that DJ made and the results were always very close to a similar build on a 2 wheeler.  My question is, how is the 250ix set up?  Does the 2nd drum always turn, even when running a 2 wheeler?
The second drum has a safety cover over it when not in use, but does in fact turn all the time.

bluerim

I originally tried to post the dyno sheet but my post was pulled . It apparently didn't meet posting specs, which I did not read first so decided to report without the chart.
Now I am confused.   There is a 16% approx. difference between bike and trike dyno as far as I can see.  Stutmans HD in Jamestown did my 2017 Tri Glide as they are the closest trike dyno to me.  The build was almost identical to Fuel Moto's build.  Woods 222 cam, Jackpot headpipe, Powervision tuner. Different mufflers.  One can expect differences for many reasons but 16% is a lot. I believe too much difference to account for
different dynos on different days at different elevations and different air cleaners and mufflers as well as the dyno tech's ability to tune properly.
I am waiting for someone to do a stock trike pull and then a modified pull to see how it compares.  So I guess my report is still not conclusive until someone else backs me up.

cherryseeg2

There is a big difference in loss on a trike compared to a two wheeler.  Our finding is they will not take to timing like two wheelers which hurts power allot.  Here is a comparison between a stage 1 trike vs a stage 1 bike.  Both decatted with high flow breathers and similar mufflers.

[attach=0]
2005 Cherry SEEG2-J&B Performance 120 163hp/144tq

Herko

Yes, parasitic drag in a trike compared to a bike will lower the power output of the trike compared to a bike with a matching build. But other variables will have an effect.
These being:
Dyno variance
Tune quality variance
Parts variance
Air density variance (run conditions)
Or any combination thereof

On the dyno variance, a trike dyno has no more differential in power measurement than we will see from one two-wheeled dyno to another.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Hossamania

I think the more important comparison is how much difference it made on your bike from the non-modified motor to the modified motor. My thought is that the percentage of gain would be closer to the 39%, even though the numbers are smaller.
As mentioned, did your shop do a baseline run before the mods to be able to measure the actual results?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

BVHOG

First off, forget the numbers, look for trends and percentage of increase from before and after.  Now I'll ask you to just think about this for a moment. Do you think a business selling parts is going to show you the average or the low of their kit? Probably not. Look in the dyno section , do you see anyone post up results that are not at the upper end of the scale? Definitely not.  What I want to see in a dyno sheet is a smooth graph that comes from a good combination of parts, good timing tables and proper air fuel ratio with as much area under the curve as possible.  Forget the numbers especially if they are attached as part of an advertisement. I have seen way too many tricks being played out there and as a dyno owner I know better
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Buglet