1989 to 1990 clutch upgrade... which clutch push rod?.. or some hybrid type

Started by 1340evo, July 27, 2017, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Having gone to the 1990 clutch and splined shaft, my 1989 push rod is too long... I have the clutch end for a 1990 so do I just need the middle rod for a 1990 to go with it?.. or the bit in the the trap door end also.. cant find these bits with measurements on them anywhere?
Guess I could make my 1989 one fit but the ends look hardened?
Any thought :)

FSG

the ends are the same for 89 and 90, the middle rod is different, you need PUSH ROD, clutch release 37088-90  which is 10.xxx" whereas the -87 is 11.xxx"

1340evo

Hi.. fantastic,, thanks for that.. I had ordered one earlier as it appeared to say the ends were okay... thanks for the info... always good to get confirmation especialy as things take 2 weeks to arrive here!

whats the 10.xxx and 11.xxx?... do you mean diameter?... it measures 9.5mm.. so guess this is not what you mean LOL... cheers... :up:

FSG

10.xxx" whereas the -87 is 11.xxx"

length in inches, the xxx's as I'd need to check my notes for the exact lengths, but I'm watching Friday Night Football so   

1340evo

got ya... I did think of cutting the existing one down, turning up the end, polish and hardening it.. but for £6... get a new one...

I've not spent ages yet.. just dry build to check primery chain lines up etc (and it does  :smile: ) but was wondering what stops the oil going gear box to primery or the other was.. there does not appear to be any seal on it anywhere?

FSG

Quotewhat stops the oil going gear box to primary or the other way.. there does not appear to be any seal on it anywhere

no seal is needed or used, the primary breathes/vents through the mainshaft into the trannie and out the vent on the top of the trannie case

the oil doesn't migrate unless of course you fill the primary to the max while the bike is laying on it's right side, or something else goes wrong

if the trannie vent tube becomes blocked (mud wasps or similar) then the pressure increase in the primary due to operating temperature can force trannie up the clutch cable as a release path

1340evo

Interesting... Away for a week now but cant picture the trani breather... Will have a look when back.. Is it just a pipe from the top cover?
Was quite a bit of lube on the push rod... No flinger on mine... 89.. Will have a look when back.  👍

FSG

FSG

if it were me I'd look at replacing the existing throw out bearing and thrust washers with a Heavy Duty throw out bearing and washers.

1340evo

Great info.. Thanks... Will see if I can get one whilst its down. 

Cant wait to get back and get started...

When I put the rotor on and pushed it home, it wanted to push back off a few mm... Wonder if its better to put the ring spacer on the inside to push the rotor out a tad, so its more central with the flux fields

FSG

I'd put some putty on the stator and then put the rotor on to check if the rotor is hitting the stator due to the sprocket shaft spacer being the wrong length or missing

1340evo

No, its clear.. That's how its been running... But just noticed its wanting to push back a bit.. I guess its best in mid flux, so thought it may be worth doing? Same end result with regards to sprocket position, just rotor move out a tad

Burnout

Well you don't want to get it out so far it screws with the chain alignment.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

No.. Normal set up.. Rotor, thin spacer, compensator assy

I'm thinking... Thin spacer, rotor, compensating assy

No distances change, just moves the rotor out a few mm to be where its wanting to sit when its all lose due the the magneting flux

FSG

if you go "thin spacer, rotor, compensating assy" make sure there is clearance between the side of the chain and the outside face of the rotor

1340evo

Ok.. Will check...  Don't know if it will work better that way... Maybe, maybe not ?

FSG

I moved the rotor on my 03 Fatty outboard, IMO the difference in position of the magnets/lines of flux to the stator was immeasurable 

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=73290.0

1340evo

Very interesting and well drawn up post... But why did you do all that? Just to give more clamping land for the rotor.... Did try pull my spacer out that sits under the seal but will only move so far, so guess its a step on it for my year?.... Will have a play when home... Don't understand the big taper on the spacer.. It reduces the land a lot for the rotor to clamp to