May 02, 2024, 01:59:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1989 5 speed trap door bearings.. replace or not

Started by 1340evo, July 27, 2017, 02:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Having tapped the shafts out of the bearing with a rubber hammer.. and now back in.. I'm thinking is this good for the bearing and might it be damaged?.. is it okay to do this .. hammer the shafts through so side loading the bearing with a good few blows... or is it advisable to get new bearings once you've hammered the shafts out?..
I have actualy got the box re-assembled.. but you know when you come away, sit down and think Mmmmmm  :crook:

Dan89flstc

Read your service manual

You will see it clearly states to replace the trap door bearings if you remove the shafts.

The process of removing the shaft from the bearing puts a cross load on the bearing.

Do not drive the shafts into the bearings, you need to press them in, again; this is also clearly explained in the service manual.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

1340evo

yup.. PN 8998... is this a std bearing i can get at the bearing shop... will see if I can find a pic online ;)

1340evo

6204-c3   think this is the bit I need... SKF deep grove... Correct??

FSG

1340evo

Thanks again... got two ordered at 1/10 of the price of HD parts!... went SKF as I think they are good.. had bad FAG ones in the past and they are 7 ball.. where as the SKF are 8 ball... also Timken available but again, had issues before

Not sure they need doing as a bit of side tapping wont harm them that much.. but whilst its out and before I fit the inner primary bearing its worth doing I guess...

Also ordered 2 new nyloc nuts  :wink:

thanks again for your help!!!

FSG

Dan89flstc

Quote from: 1340evo on July 28, 2017, 03:45:54 AM
  got two ordered at 1/10 of the price of HD parts!...   

HD list price for those bearings is $18.00

You got those bearings for $1.80 each?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

1340evo

Not in the UK... They are £24 each... But yes, aclually £2.50... We do get 30% through work, but even without, still much cheaper