April 30, 2024, 04:10:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Screw in Oil Pump Update!!!!

Started by StevieRay59, August 02, 2017, 08:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevieRay59

Update!!!!! Picking up the bike this afternoon with new engine and torque cam installed. Been 35 days since I dropped it off for this second replacement motor. Let's hope the 3rd
engine in this frame is the one that won't self destruct. Fingers crossed. Truly has been an ordeal brothers. Those of you lucky enough to still be on your original motor better thank the Harley gods
because this just pure luck your still riding. At least the test ride they took today shows a very strong motor according to the mechanic riding it. I will let you know what I think after I get a chance to put
some miles on it this weekend and next. Gonna keep it under 3500rpms for a few hundred miles with an occasional trip to 4 or 5000rpms after that. Buying the street tuner also to keep it under warranty and do some
auto tunes for the VE Tables. Of course now I have to learn how to use it because I'm used to my power vision auto tune feature from my 2014 Limited, not the street tuner. Bike will be 100% Harley installed parts and tune till Sept 2018 when
warranty expires. Way to afraid to do anything after market to this drivetrain. I have a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 header that's going to sit on a shelf for another year grr!! Street Cannons and the new K&N filter in stock air box along with the torque cam and stock header is it, on this motor till the warranty expires for me. Oh, and stronger clutch springs that I haven't had a chance to use yet with the AIM variable clutch I bought just B4 this all happened. Will the AIM VP and clutch springs void warranty? God only knows. Maybe that will wait a year too. Really wish I could have at least tried the Fuel Moto 2-1-2 pipe and power vision before all this happened on this M8 Limited.

No Cents

August 03, 2017, 05:15:24 AM #1 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:20:32 AM by No Cents
   ...and it was another day at the office for the dealership.  :doh:
It seems from what I keep hearing that things like this are not uncommon for dealerships to see.
I honestly believe the customer/buyer of a new model year when an engine design has changed that the first year buyer is still going to be a beta tester for the MoCo.
   Did anyone tell you they were sorry for all the problems you have had...or offer you another bike to ride while yours was being diagnosed and repaired?
   I hope that they got it fixed for you this time!  :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

festus

Hope it works out this time.
But 3rd engine and didn't extend the warrenty?
Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.

PoorUB

Yep, I would have been whining about extending the factory warranty another year. I think three engines in short order it would be justified.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

borno

3rd motor, I'd say the odds are in your favor this time. It must be frustrating though to say the least.  :chop:

UltraManPaul

I'll be keeping my '15 Limited....

UMP
2015 FLHTK, SE Agitator AF, SE Slip-ons, Chrome front end.

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

happyman

Quote from: borno on August 03, 2017, 02:00:14 PM
3rd motor, I'd say the odds are in your favor this time. It must be frustrating though to say the least.  :chop:

harley#1

put on all the extended warranty you can get. i know this means all your add on parts will have to sit on the bench but after what is said about the m8 and your troubles it might be a wise decision.

Heatwave3

I feel your pain. I'm also on my third M8 114 engine in my 2017 CVO Limited. First 2 engines were stage 4 117s that failed from sumping. Third engine feels strong and I have 1000 miles on it so far (6500 miles total on the bike). The MoCo has stood by me and done their best to make things right. They put a 7yr HD ESP including Wheel & Tire on the bike at no charge. Dealer has also been good through obviously a very disappointing summer with the bike. I have yet to upgrade the new engine to a stage 4 (no charge parts/labor from HD) as I'm waiting for the new stage 4 kits to come out for the 2018s. Since the '18s are already 117 from the factory, I'm guessing the Stage 4 kit will be an even bigger displacement (120 or 124ci??). I'm also assuming they will be doing alot more testing on the stage 4 kit including a new oil pump before they release it to the market given their 2017 engine sumping issues.

lucasg

Quote from: Heatwave3 on October 07, 2017, 07:28:29 AM
I feel your pain. I'm also on my third M8 114 engine in my 2017 CVO Limited. First 2 engines were stage 4 117s that failed from sumping. Third engine feels strong and I have 1000 miles on it so far (6500 miles total on the bike). The MoCo has stood by me and done their best to make things right. They put a 7yr HD ESP including Wheel & Tire on the bike at no charge. Dealer has also been good through obviously a very disappointing summer with the bike. I have yet to upgrade the new engine to a stage 4 (no charge parts/labor from HD) as I'm waiting for the new stage 4 kits to come out for the 2018s. Since the '18s are already 117 from the factory, I'm guessing the Stage 4 kit will be an even bigger displacement (120 or 124ci??). I'm also assuming they will be doing alot more testing on the stage 4 kit including a new oil pump before they release it to the market given their 2017 engine sumping issues.
This is the kind of story that I like to hear;  a dealer that doesn't show you the door when there is a major failure or tell you to take it up with the MoCo, it's out of our hands.
You folks have a much longer riding season than us in the great white north, I lose my $hit if I had a catastrophic failure like this after spending all that dough...
Hope every thing works out well for the both of you..

IronButt70

Prez of our local HOG chapter is on his 3rd motor. Haven't spoken to him in person but the grapevine said something about oil pumps on both.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

J Stan Watson

I had the Stage 3 114 Big Bore Kit installed at 352 miles on my Road Glide. I liked the responsiveness of the bike with it.......until I was in Idaho coming out the north end of Hell's Canyon in July headed to Missoula after the PNW Rally.

A friend with a stock 107 with only 900 miles was holding with me after about 2 miles in the grade. Mine seemed like it was choked at 4000 RPM no matter what I did with the throttle it wouldn't pull any harder.....I thought I was experiencing a Hot Clutch except of course the RPM wouldn't change.

That same friend had the Stage 3 114 installed last month........800 miles on his Stage 3 114 and, we're running down the 5 West of Bakersfield and all of a sudden his choked out completely and died in the #1 lane. We got it to the Shoulder and it wouldn't turn over.......checked the oil and it took 2 quarts to get it to normal. As it cooled a bit we boosted it with another bike and got it turn over but it wouldn't fire.

Towed it to a Hotel across from Bakersfield Harley which was closed for the day. The following morning had it brought to Bakersfield Harley, they lifted it and drained the crankcase......that's where his oil had gotten trapped, where 4 ounces max should have been......the mechanic filled 3 - 16 oz Solo Cups and then overflowed onto his Lift another 20 Ozs or so. Essentially the Crankcase had became a reservoir and the Crank was in what was equivalent to Quicksand.

The Wet Sumping problem was the issue, his bike after a long tow to the selling and installing dealer was torn down and his entire engine internally was toast, he's getting a new engine installed currently.

Naturally, I took mine in since I had been having similar power issues and, it had also overheated and wouldn't idle on its own the day his died....got word yesterday that mine had multiple issues internally requiring a new engine also........at least I made it to just over 8,800 miles with mine.

As fate has it, I also have a 16 Limited Low which has the 103 with the 110 Stage 3 upgrade that was done at about 1200 miles. It lost an engine at just over 6,700 last year from the piston skirts getting into the cylinder walls and fragging the inside of the engine and all the oiling mechanism.  :banghead:

Heatwave3

Quote from: J Stan Watson on October 12, 2017, 08:57:14 AM
I had the Stage 3 114 Big Bore Kit installed at 352 miles on my Road Glide. I liked the responsiveness of the bike with it.......until I was in Idaho coming out the north end of Hell's Canyon in July headed to Missoula after the PNW Rally.

A friend with a stock 107 with only 900 miles was holding with me after about 2 miles in the grade. Mine seemed like it was choked at 4000 RPM no matter what I did with the throttle it wouldn't pull any harder.....I thought I was experiencing a Hot Clutch except of course the RPM wouldn't change.

That same friend had the Stage 3 114 installed last month........800 miles on his Stage 3 114 and, we're running down the 5 West of Bakersfield and all of a sudden his choked out completely and died in the #1 lane. We got it to the Shoulder and it wouldn't turn over.......checked the oil and it took 2 quarts to get it to normal. As it cooled a bit we boosted it with another bike and got it turn over but it wouldn't fire.

Towed it to a Hotel across from Bakersfield Harley which was closed for the day. The following morning had it brought to Bakersfield Harley, they lifted it and drained the crankcase......that's where his oil had gotten trapped, where 4 ounces max should have been......the mechanic filled 3 - 16 oz Solo Cups and then overflowed onto his Lift another 20 Ozs or so. Essentially the Crankcase had became a reservoir and the Crank was in what was equivalent to Quicksand.

The Wet Sumping problem was the issue, his bike after a long tow to the selling and installing dealer was torn down and his entire engine internally was toast, he's getting a new engine installed currently.

Naturally, I took mine in since I had been having similar power issues and, it had also overheated and wouldn't idle on its own the day his died....got word yesterday that mine had multiple issues internally requiring a new engine also........at least I made it to just over 8,800 miles with mine.

As fate has it, I also have a 16 Limited Low which has the 103 with the 110 Stage 3 upgrade that was done at about 1200 miles. It lost an engine at just over 6,700 last year from the piston skirts getting into the cylinder walls and fragging the inside of the engine and all the oiling mechanism.  :banghead:

Sad to say but there will be many more stories like this come from guys that just haven't ridden their new M8 bikes long enough to create a sumping failure. Very sad.

hogpipes1

Quote from: Heatwave3 on October 12, 2017, 09:09:06 AM

Sad to say but there will be many more stories like this come from guys that just haven't ridden their new M8 bikes long enough to create a sumping failure. Very sad.

The MOCO should have a special pin given to all you guys with all these nightmare problems.. Experienced field test riders ..  Of course H-D would not want all these stories told .  :gob:

happyman

Quote from: hogpipes1 on October 12, 2017, 10:12:23 PM
Quote from: Heatwave3 on October 12, 2017, 09:09:06 AM

The MOCO should have a special pin given to all you guys with all these nightmare problems.. Experienced field test riders ..  Of course H-D would not want all these stories told .  :gob:
for sure its not worth a pin of any sorts its a hassle and a disgusting ordeal to have to go threw over and over and over again , 

koko3052

Well StevieRay59....been over 3 mo. since you got your bike back....how is it, cause inquiring minds must know? :scratch:

StevieRay59

The new motor with the torque cam installed now has 4000 miles on it and so far no problems. Bike now has 8000 miles on it. Original motor lasted 666 miles. I know Devil Motor right ha.  First replacement motor Lasted about 3000 miles. I guess the 3rd motor is the charm lol. It's outlasted the first two motors combined. Would have more miles total on the bike but it spent 2 months in service department during riding season, which ended here in Mi. for me cause it's too damn cold now.

koko3052

Thanks for the update StevieRay59. Keep us posted next year of any issues & also or success.
Winter here too in the Great White North! :oops: