April 30, 2024, 09:36:40 AM

News:

Milwaukee 8 valve noise

Started by Jacob1955, August 10, 2017, 09:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob1955

My 2017 Milwaukee 8 seems to have  a lot of valve noise in the head area when it gets hot,,,,Is this normal,,also at 4400 miles they replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner,,Dealer says its normal but i really don't think the noise was there till the Tensioner went out.Recommendations Please.

twincamzz

I bought my 2017 M8 new back last August...not have 11800+ miles with no top end noise. Your top end noise is NOT normal if you ask me.

not all who wander are lost...

Jacob1955

Thanks,,,what i am hearing sounds like a Rocker arm or something  pecking not really loud but annoying when it gets hot especially at lower RPMS

Durwood

I have no valve train noise on mine either, you very well could have a bad "C" lifter.

r0de_runr

When it is making that noise, use a motor stethescope to touch the top of each pushrod tube.  It might be a pushrod tapping on the top of a tube.
Might not be....
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

88b

One push rod operating two valves with no adjustment  I've thought this is going to be a problem from day 1

Jacob1955

I am thinking about trying 20-60 Redline oil to see if that quiets it down

rbabos

Quote from: 88b on August 11, 2017, 02:21:18 AM
One push rod operating two valves with no adjustment  I've thought this is going to be a problem from day 1
Let's assume HD has some QC, then you don't need adjusters as long as the stacked total components at assembly offer one valve or other about .005 clearance. From there the hydraulics only sense the tightest clearance for bleed down and cold/hot compensation. Could be one or the other an might even change over time depending on wear. The only time there can be a problem is if one stem gets too much clearance beyond .008. Then ticking ,more then normal will result. This would be rare in the life span of good engine.
Adjustable rockers with hydraulic lifter units only offer a means to be a bit more sloppy in overall clearances that can be tweeked at the end when all assembled. Adjusters would be advisable for solid lifter setups.
Ron

Geezer_Glider

4K on the M8, no noise, quieter than 3 previous twin cams. What was the tensioner replaced for?
Just saying
R Meyer

Jacob1955

I was about 60 miles from home and stopped for a break and noticed a pretty loud ticking in the head area it was still running good though.the the further i rode the louder it got and gas mileage out the door and very sluggish.Dealer said collapsed Cam Chain Tensioner

88b

Quote from: rbabos on August 11, 2017, 07:12:44 AM
Let's assume HD has some QC, then you don't need adjusters as long as the stacked total components at assembly offer one valve or other about .005 clearance. From there the hydraulics only sense the tightest clearance for bleed down and cold/hot compensation. Could be one or the other an might even change over time depending on wear. The only time there can be a problem is if one stem gets too much clearance beyond .008. Then ticking ,more then normal will result. This would be rare in the life span of good engine.
Adjustable rockers with hydraulic lifter units only offer a means to be a bit more sloppy in overall clearances that can be tweeked at the end when all assembled. Adjusters would be advisable for solid lifter setups.
Ron

I'd love to assume HD has good quality control but sadly all the oil pump water pump cam plate lifter and trans problems put a stop to it.

rbabos

Quote from: 88b on August 15, 2017, 07:41:04 AM
Quote from: rbabos on August 11, 2017, 07:12:44 AM
Ron

I'd love to assume HD has good quality control but sadly all the oil pump water pump cam plate lifter and trans problems put a stop to it.
Yes, I seldom use HD and QC in the same sentence myself. M8, perfect example.
Ron

Paniolo

Are the M8 rockers the same as a TC? In other words, can items like "Rocker Lockers" help quiet them down?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

rbabos

Quote from: Paniolo on August 15, 2017, 11:09:12 AM
Are the M8 rockers the same as a TC? In other words, can items like "Rocker Lockers" help quiet them down?
Not the same. They are direct bolt on rather then fit in holes of the rocker stands.
Ron

88b

Twin cam has two valves per cylinder. M8 has four .

Paniolo

Quote from: rbabos on August 15, 2017, 11:12:41 AM
Not the same. They are direct bolt on rather then fit in holes of the rocker stands.
Ron

At least they are improving things.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

happyman

Quote from: Jacob1955 on August 10, 2017, 09:51:11 AM
My 2017 Milwaukee 8 seems to have  a lot of valve noise in the head area when it gets hot,,,,Is this normal,,also at 4400 miles they replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner,,Dealer says its normal but i really don't think the noise was there till the Tensioner went out.Recommendations Please.

a broken cam bolt will make some racket.  I had two break.  another thing that just may be an issue is if your riding say at highway speeds where you have lots of wind noise you stop at a sign and you all of a sudden have lots of clatter.  your not far from home, get it home, load it up and take it to a dealer. then find another broken cam bolt.   the testing starts,  some hours involved when looking for issues. u are told you have a bent pushrod  and scuffed valve stems.   perhaps all the crazy heat stuck a valve and  caused the issues.  regardless new motor here, and the new stage 4.  the hell of it is   you have weeks of no bike  that's a bummer  indeed. regardless  HD stepped up and  did  good on it.     hope it will last now.  time will tell.  should have it back maybe by next weekend.   never fun when your afraid to venture very far from home.