May 02, 2024, 06:20:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear cylinder high idle VE after PV tune

Started by 07heri, August 11, 2017, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

07heri

Here's the scenario...

I was having trouble getting the PV to collect data at idle, just sitting in the garage.

Looked at VE's......rear 11 higher than front.  70 front 81 rear.

Lowered rear to match front.

Set up Auto Tune....collected hits nice and fast.

But, raised the rear VE up to 84.

Set up Auto Tune for second run and wouldn't collect hits at idle again.

I'm guessing the high VE is outside of the sensor range being too rich.  Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Second issue is .....Why?

What would cause the rear cylinder to be so high after it's Auto Tuned once or twice?  The front stays within 1 VE......the rear jumps up 13 or 14 to the point it won't collect hits on the next tune run.

This seems to happen only at idle, 5% column.  If I bump the throttle up to the 1125 the PV starts clicking off the hits like normal. 

2016 Heritage
Rush 2 inch baffles with DK Customs 1 5/8 torque inserts
K&N air filter
No other mods

Appreciate any help or where to start looking.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

joe_lyons

Are you saying that you don't like the front and rear VE not matching at idle?
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Durwood

Idle VE's will differ front to rear, this is normal.

The reason it's not collecting data in that area on successive runs is the engine is warm and not tipping into the 5% column.

07heri

Quote from: Durwood on August 12, 2017, 03:37:35 AM

The reason it's not collecting data in that area on successive runs is the engine is warm and not tipping into the 5% column.

I know they will differ.  It won't tune idle after 1 auto tune.  The box just stays outlined in white but no color or hit count.  Only happens at idle and 5% column.  Even if the VE was spot on or close it should still start collecting hits.  But instead it raises the VE to high and it gets rich and the sensor isn't working.  I should be able to collect data all day long, even with a spot on VE.  This isn't happening.  It reads once or twice and then it stops collecting any hits.

To answer Joe....the reason I manually lowered the VE was because it smelled rich.  Once I lowered the VE, as a test, PV started collecting his. 
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

07heri

Explain this in dummy terms if you will.  The temp was 260.  The white box is in the 5% column.  If I bump the throttle to 1125 it collects in the 5% column.  If I take my hand off the throttle the box rolls back to the 1000 RPM row and stops collecting.  If the box is in the 5% column on the PV why would 260 degrees make it be a different column that its showing.

Keep in mind, if I lower the rear VE again manually, at the same 260 degrees, it will collect data.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

misfitJason

check your data collection settings and make sure none of them are outside the limits of what you are doing
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Durwood

Quote from: 07heri on August 12, 2017, 11:13:38 AM

Explain this in dummy terms if you will.  The temp was 260.  The white box is in the 5% column.  If I bump the throttle to 1125 it collects in the 5% column.  If I take my hand off the throttle the box rolls back to the 1000 RPM row and stops collecting.  If the box is in the 5% column on the PV why would 260 degrees make it be a different column that its showing.

Keep in mind, if I lower the rear VE again manually, at the same 260 degrees, it will collect data.
PM sent.

joe_lyons

What are all your settings for auto tune?  Auto tune doesn't always work very well at idle and light load areas.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

rbabos

Quote from: joe_lyons on August 13, 2017, 06:50:25 PM
What are all your settings for auto tune?  Auto tune doesn't always work very well at idle and light load areas.
Actually, it's boarder line fkg useless in light load areas. :hyst: Don't care what tuner product it is. Now idle, can't say it's a big issue as long as IAT is reading normal during capture.
Ron