April 25, 2024, 11:38:25 PM

News:

harley air vs premium shocks

Started by roadkingdresser, March 04, 2019, 01:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

What's your opinion on the difference of the ride between the air shocks and the premium shocks. Thinking about a set for my 10 r-king. I know there are better shocks out there, but i'm on a tight budget here. Thanks.
roadkingdresser

Harley Pilot

I went with the Progressive air shocks, found em for just over 3 bills on eBay. To adjust the premiums you have to remove the seat from what I understand, I wanted the ease of adjustability.

Durwood

Quote from: roadkingdresser on March 04, 2019, 01:15:05 AM
What's your opinion on the difference of the ride between the air shocks and the premium shocks. Thinking about a set for my 10 r-king. I know there are better shocks out there, but i'm on a tight budget here. Thanks.
The premiums are good shocks, no need to pull the seat, just the left saddle bag. If you end up going that way, be sure to buy the STD length, 13", not the LOW, 12" version. Huge difference in ride quality.

roadkingdresser

I've got the 12" shocks on now because of the short legs. was wondering about the difference in the ride.
roadkingdresser

Durwood

Quote from: roadkingdresser on March 04, 2019, 05:49:05 AM
I've got the 12" shocks on now because of the short legs. was wondering about the difference in the ride.
I would save my money, the newer 12"shocks don't ride any better than the air model 12".

rhuff

Shocks are subjective.  The difference between them for me is quite significant.  I know a lot of people are not a fan of the 12" premiums, but they are a solid shock.  Many people find them stiff, which is part of what is nice about them IMO.  Those old air shocks just wallow. 

That being said, I'd def hold out for a pair of the 13".  You can order them separately from BoardTracker for a bit under $300 IIRC.

Hossamania

Quote from: rhuff on March 04, 2019, 09:51:38 AM
Shocks are subjective.  The difference between them for me is quite significant.  I know a lot of people are not a fan of the 12" premiums, but they are a solid shock.  Many people find them stiff, which is part of what is nice about them IMO.  Those old air shocks just wallow. 

That being said, I'd def hold out for a pair of the 13".  You can order them separately from BoardTracker for a bit under $300 IIRC.

Maybe not Boardtracker right now.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mrmike

Lol yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

guydoc77

Quote from: Durwood link=topic= 108012.msg1285021#msg1285021 date=1551703686
Quote from: roadkingdresser on March 04, 2019, 01:15:05 AM
The premiums are good shocks, no need to pull the seat, just the left saddle bag. If you end up going that way, be sure to buy the STD length, 13", not the LOW, 12" version. Huge difference in ride quality.

:agree: :agree: :agree: I put the Premium shocks on my 2008 Road Glide and agree. Much better ride than the stock air shocks. And like Darin says, get the 13" not the 12". There is a definite difference.

Jim Bronson

I have the premiums on my '15 RK. They are marginally better in terms of ride quality than the stock air shocks, but it isn't a "night and day" difference.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Langwilliams

if you get them cheap enough they're a nice upgrade for the price IMO. I got some for just under $200 shipped an an on small bumps an imperfections it was a lot better. still a jolt on large stuff. I'd never pay close to what HD wants for them new.

roadkingdresser

Thanks,  guys I might have to go with the 13". If I don't like them I'll put the air back on. :beer: :beer:
roadkingdresser

Die Hard

March 12, 2019, 05:57:10 PM #12 Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:10:59 PM by Die Hard
I've had the factory air shocks on a 2007 Street Glide and the Premium shocks on a 2015 Street Glide. Was not very impressed with either so I went with 13" Ohlins 772's on the rear and the Ohlins "Potty mouth" 102 package for the front of the last bike. Yes they are expensive, but I have found it is worth it and the combination of the Ohlins front and back made a significant improvement in the ride and handling on these PA roads. For those that ride on smoother roads, the Harley Premium shocks may be fine.
Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

stro1965

I found a pair of 13" take-offs for $100 that were delivered to me just today. They'll be replacing the air shocks on my '14 Limited. Can't wait to get rid of the air.

roadkingdresser

Got a set delivered 2 days ago, haven't had a chance to get them on.
roadkingdresser

PBSTN

Got 13" premiums on my 10rk. Mounted with tamarack 1" lowering blocks. Rides good.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

stro1965

Quote from: stro1965 on March 15, 2019, 10:43:16 PM
I found a pair of 13" take-offs for $100 that were delivered to me just today. They'll be replacing the air shocks on my '14 Limited. Can't wait to get rid of the air.

Took about 15 minutes to swap out the shocks and I am super happy with the results. Best $100 I've ever spent on this bike!

sfmichael

Quote from: PBSTN on March 24, 2019, 07:51:03 PM
Got 13" premiums on my 10rk. Mounted with tamarack 1" lowering blocks. Rides good.

this was my thought - why not get 13's and then lower the bike an inch?

most guys don't like lowering kits but no one has explained to me why?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Hossamania

One reason for not using lowering blocks is that they change the geometry of the shock travel and ride quality is affected.
Of course, the reason for using them is because my, I mean some people's, legs don't quite touch down all the way.

brent

lowered my 07 ultra and and it stripped the wiring under the fender

86fxwg

Im not sure why anyone would say the ride is different from the 12 to 13 " premium  shocks.

2 years ago the wife did the 4 corner tour (10500 miles in 21days) on the rear of a 15 ultra low. We have a 2010 street glide with 12" premiums, she asked me when she got back why our bike doesnt ride like our buddies bike. She would know after doing that kind of riding. So out on a ride i pulled over & adjusted ours down to soften it up. Put the saddle bag back on,didnt tell her what i had done,within the first 5 miles she said i dont know what u did but it now rides like Dennis's bike.

Ive put a crap load of 12"on that replaced 13"air & never a complaint.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Durwood

Quote from: 86fxwg on March 26, 2019, 03:07:16 PM
Im not sure why anyone would say the ride is different from the 12 to 13 " premium  shocks.

My bike came with 12" and it rode like a log wagon compared to the 13". Both premium.

1workinman

Quote from: Hossamania on March 25, 2019, 04:42:16 AM
One reason for not using lowering blocks is that they change the geometry of the shock travel and ride quality is affected.
Of course, the reason for using them is because my, I mean some people's, legs don't quite touch down all the way.
Hoss I have a 12 Street Glide that has the progressive front shocks and 13 inch Ohlins and I use the lowering blocks if they would fit , but the zipper adjuster kit prevented me from using it. I have a 13 Road Glide , money pit number 2 that has the lowering blocks and it does not ride as good but I prefer the lower stance . .

Hossamania

Quote from: 1workinman on March 31, 2019, 06:12:20 AM
Hoss I have a 12 Street Glide that has the progressive front shocks and 13 inch Ohlins and I use the lowering blocks if they would fit , but the zipper adjuster kit prevented me from using it. I have a 13 Road Glide , money pit number 2 that has the lowering blocks and it does not ride as good but I prefer the lower stance . .

I use lowering blocks on my '12 Ultra because they were almost free, I need them to touch down comfortably, but the ride is definitely compromised, and the stock air shocks are no real bargain to begin with.
Legend Revo shocks are on my radar, but almost $900 is a lot to swallow.

1workinman

Quote from: Hossamania on March 31, 2019, 07:13:36 AM
Quote from: 1workinman on March 31, 2019, 06:12:20 AM

I use lowering blocks on my '12 Ultra because they were almost free, I need them to touch down comfortably, but the ride is definitely compromised, and the stock air shocks are no real bargain to begin with.
Legend Revo shocks are on my radar, but almost $900 is a lot to swallow.
Hoss that must be some good shocks . I pretty cheap guy except when it come to a good running bike up to a point lol . I drive a pos Honda civic to work but I could have bought a very nice truck for what I got in both of the money pits . I got old and I just want to have some fun while I can damn . I been cheap for 30 years and I finally said f this I going to have a little fun . But I good now lol there is limits . Yea I pass on the 900 dollar shocks too lol I learned so hard lessons along the way .

Hossamania

The guy that owns the independent shop that I use says they are the best shocks he has ever used, and he's tried them all, so at least I have some confirmation that they may be worth it. My wife absolutely hates the stock shocks on it now, over a three day trip she was miserable for two and a half.
If $900 shocks solve that, money well spent.

1workinman

Quote from: Hossamania on March 31, 2019, 05:41:41 PM
The guy that owns the independent shop that I use says they are the best shocks he has ever used, and he's tried them all, so at least I have some confirmation that they may be worth it. My wife absolutely hates the stock shocks on it now, over a three day trip she was miserable for two and a half.
Well I don't know much about keeping a wife happy lol but if that what it takes then good enough

roadkingdresser

Got to try the premiums out today-200 mi. ride didn't impress me at all.
roadkingdresser

sfmichael

Quote from: Hossamania on March 31, 2019, 05:41:41 PM

I suppose like all things, they have different grades? I looked online and J&P is showing them for $725 and Amazon shows them for $925

If I remember correctly Calif Phil said the Revos are the way to go, but my memory sucks.

Maybe he will chime in here.

Are they 12 or 13 inch?
Colorado Springs, CO.

roadkingdresser

They are 13". Had the12" air on it,set my seat out and had it cut down on the sides. Was really impressed that i could actually flat foot the bike for a change.Installed the premiums and that went out the window. I'm goin to ride it some more, first ride of the season. So maybe i need to get re -seasoned.
roadkingdresser

calif phil

I just installed some 12" REVO's on a '16 FLHX  He called and said the ride was so much better, go ahead an order a set of 13" for my limited.   
These were the no rebound adjustable REVO's which retail for $725   The REVO A retails for $925

Jim Bronson

Quote from: calif phil on April 16, 2019, 06:53:17 AM
I just installed some 12" REVO's on a '16 FLHX  He called and said the ride was so much better, go ahead an order a set of 13" for my limited.   
These were the no rebound adjustable REVO's which retail for $725   The REVO A retails for $925
Most shocks have adjustable sag and selectable spring rates, so is it the adjustable rebound feature that makes them superior?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

calif phil

You are correct.  The REVO -A has a 6 position rebound dampening adjustment. 

guydoc77

Quote from: Durwood on March 26, 2019, 04:54:14 PM
Quote from: 86fxwg on March 26, 2019, 03:07:16 PM

My bike came with 12" and it rode like a log wagon compared to the 13". Both premium.

My experience as well. And this is the very reason that the Street Glides mentioned didn't ride well. There is a definite difference in the 12" vs the 13".