April 26, 2024, 09:23:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Steel slivers in Primary oil

Started by thirdjld, March 20, 2019, 06:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdjld

March 20, 2019, 06:36:45 PM Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:42:04 PM by thirdjld
Changing the fluids tonight and in the primary fluid there were 4 or 5 slivers about 1/4 inch long. It's an 09 E-glide with 47.5 K miles on it. Stock motor with 255 cam, heavy spring. I'm leaving on a trip Friday and I don't think it will be a problem but figured I'd ask the experts. I used to use Mobil 1 20W50 in the primary but changed to Formula+. This is the first change out of the Formula+.
Thanks in advance
John
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

road-dawgs1

Was the comp ever changed out to SE or otherwise or is it still stock? Could be metal from the rotor spring bowl perhaps.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Ohio HD

I'd be more concerned with metal flakes that a few rogue shards. If there are no unusual noises, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I guess the big question is, what is the trips length? Cross country, across the state?

kd

KD

thirdjld

I replaced the compensator two years ago and put the compensaver in at the same time.  I'm going 700 miles Friday and 800 back Sunday. I found them on the magnet but they do seem magnetic.

thirdjld

It's a typical school bus but every three or four months I do treat it like a sports car and run through the gears speed shifting. Also I do do ride in 25* weather upon occasion if that could cause problems.

Boe Cole

You may want to check the starter Bendix or the clutch ring (my name for it - not Harley's).  The sliver seems a bit big (in my opinion) to be coming off the chain so that leaves the starter or the comp.  If the starter takes a dump while you are away, you can always push start.  If the comp goes south, well....... but the odds of that happening are rather slim.  I'd be packing and looking forward to the trip.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

ThumperDeuce

Chain slapping against the casing?

Never mind, they wouldn't be magnetic.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

rigidthumper

Ever get starter kickback?  That shard looks like the upper edge of a ring gear tooth.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

thirdjld

The kickback happens very infrequently since the new compensator, I'll definitely keep that on the top of the list yo pay attention to. Thanks

hogpipes1

March 21, 2019, 10:55:38 AM #10 Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:01:53 AM by hogpipes1
I would not go anywhere with out  pulling the cover. Could not enjoy a long ride thinking about what is next .Better know where all the dealers are on your trip  and good cell service. Probably metal junk stuck on the stator rotor , Not good for the charging system if it builds up.Good luck either way.

kd

:agree:   You have been given a sign that something is not right. IMO the risk is high enough to warrant removing the cover and at least cleaning any further debris out while inspecting. 
KD

Ohio HD

I'd have a god trip and look at it when you get back.         :chop:

Dmerch

Looks like either starter or ring gear tooth shards.

thirdjld

I made the trip without a problem with the bike. I will be draining the primary again and see if there are any new slivers. If so I will get a ring gear and replace it. I think I read you can't get a ring gear from the MOCO. It seems if your going to tear it down to check it you might as well replace it.
Thanks again
John

Panzer

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 21, 2019, 07:49:25 AM
Ever get starter kickback?  That shard looks like the upper edge of a ring gear tooth.

+1........looks like a shard from a gear tooth.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

truck

Take a look at the magnets on the rotor too.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

twincam8888

I wonder, are the clutch splines good?
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

kd

Quote from: twincam8888 on March 26, 2019, 11:37:19 AM

That's a good question.  Same shape of remnant if it can get out into the primary.
KD

hogpipes1

Remember to dis the battery, starter drive is still hot  with solenoid with ign off . fingers and gears don't mix well.

misfitJason

Quote from: twincam8888 on March 26, 2019, 11:37:19 AM

This is it I bet. Lugging leads to washed out splines
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

thirdjld

To follow up, after the New Orleans trip I changed the primary fluid. I filtered the used fluid though a coffee filter. That took more time than I thought it would. I did not find any more slivers or anything more than normal. I appreciate the help, I do think it is most likely the ring gear. Thanks again
John