April 26, 2024, 02:15:46 AM

News:

Filter wrench recommendation

Started by CndUltra88, April 19, 2019, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparnut72

When I did the 5,000 service I had a helluva time getting the filter off. The dealer did the 1,000 mile service. The resident gorilla must have put the filter on. I used  the end cap socket type off filter wrench. It slipped badly as it didn't fit very well. I borrowed my Indy's wrench to get it off. Now I still use the socket style cap that goes over the end of the filter. I cut a piece out of the plastic bag that I carried the filter an oil home in and place it in the cap. It tightens it right up and works fine. Those sheet metal cap type don't work worth a damn. I use HyFlo filter, the K&N would be nice but their rating has dropped  in recent history.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Ohio HD

I think the resident gorilla just doesn't oil the gasket. They stick pretty good if you don't.

CndUltra88

Got the filter off after paying the harley tax.
Which really wasnt that bad at $14.00 Canadian, considering the local auto parts store was the same and it wouldnt fit the Harley Filter.
Popped the old off eazy peazy and screwed the new one back on.
What I noticed about the old on they used 4 points of contact for spot welds the Harley has six points of spot weld.
Guess my original had served me well since 2003...but, the wind therapy felt good after re-filling the empty crank case.
Thanks for lending an ear and the offers of other tools.
Really helped guys.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Boe Cole

Makes me wonder if they oiled the rubber o ring before the installed the filter.  Could be the whole thing was installed dry and time/heat did the rest.....
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Phu Cat

I'v Used the 3/4 turn after contact for every car and bike I've Owned since 1970.  But the change I made that makes the biggest difference is relocating the filter to behind and below the left rear floor board.  No mess and it's easy to get to.  When installing the filter I spin it easy until it just makes contact with the filter base, then make a mark on the filter case at 3 o'clock then continue tightening it until the mark I made gets to 12 o'clock and I'm done.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

kd

Quote from: Phu Cat on April 26, 2019, 08:12:34 AM
I'v Used the 3/4 turn after contact for every car and bike I've Owned since 1970.  But the change I made that makes the biggest difference is relocating the filter to behind and below the left rear floor board.  No mess and it's easy to get to.  When installing the filter I spin it easy until it just makes contact with the filter base, then make a mark on the filter case at 3 o'clock then continue tightening it until the mark I made gets to 12 o'clock and I'm done.

PC

Don't you mean 9 o'clock?   Righty tighty  :wink:
KD

Hossamania

9 o'clock Canadian, 3 o'clock US.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

:wtf:  ... but I'm in your time zone.  :hyst: :hyst:
KD

Jeevz

Quote from: kd on April 26, 2019, 08:18:25 AM
Quote from: Phu Cat on April 26, 2019, 08:12:34 AM

PC

Don't you mean 9 o'clock?   Righty tighty  :wink:

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  Pretty sure 3 to 6 to 9 to 12 = 3/4 of a turn clockwise.   :scratch: :idunno:

kd

:embarrassed:   Oooops   I missed the 3/4 turn part.    :doh:  I don't know why but I also assumed it was a Flo style reusable filter.  Maybe because me and many others use those with our relocated filters and I imagined it.   The Flo style aluminum filter body has a thin o-ring that won't take a 3/4 turn.   :crook:  My apologies.

Now I'm wondering why Hoss didn't pick that up.   :missed:  He likes to beat on us road glide folks when we leave an opening .... as seldom as that is.  :teeth:
KD

PoorUB

He isn't that quick. Give a day or two and he will come up with some comment about you Road Gliders!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

thunderrat

"sometimes a lowly strap wrench is handy......"

I agree,  works every time (I hope I just didn't jinx myself :cry:)