April 25, 2024, 10:35:57 PM

News:

custom shifter arms

Started by CarlosGGodfrog, August 04, 2019, 02:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlosGGodfrog

Does anyone know how HD makes their shifter arms ? I want to make a custom, and can't find a broach for the splines.
Thanks

koko3052

Tedious, but what you could do is measure the OD on the splined shaft, measure the ID of original shift arm, count the splines to figure the degree of each spline then make a cutter & cut each spline. Something to do for a long cold winter. :nix:

pwmorris

I've made one....it's not as difficult as you would think.
Your focus should be, not a custom broach or spline https://www.pioneerbroach.com/.......but rather keep the stock broach set up at point of contact and load (either end), and weld back what you want and have designed for your specific application.
In other words, lay out your design, weld up any arm direction you need, and only at the point closest to the end needed, cut and weld just shy of that original broach point, using the stock mating point on a stock shift arm, on your bike.
I ran a reverse down shift arm backwards and around my primary using this same principle. I was banging down shifts, but the shift arm was going up as a stock broach set up would. Worked great.
Lock yourself in the garage, stare at the problem, fail several times (this is "the work put in"), and finally solve it.... focus on what you want and execute it. No need for internet "experts"....who may never have done this. Our brains are incredibly powerful and untapped...
You will be so much more gratified by your achievement of your new designed part that no "advice" could ever touch that feeling.
Done-

Admiral Akbar