April 26, 2024, 12:09:58 AM

News:

Footboard vibrations

Started by Jim Bronson, August 17, 2019, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Lately I've begun noticing some slight footboard vibrations in my 2015 RK. The bars don't vibrate, only the footboards. Think tingly sensation. Today I tightened the heat shield clamps, and a few were somewhat loose. Are there any other items that may come loose and cause this problem? I won't be riding for a day or two, so I'd like to eliminate any obvious causes that I can easily fix. The motor mounts look OK from what my untrained eye can see.

Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Rusticwater

Check your tires, wheel weights, and "critical fasteners."
Support the Maine lobster industry

1workinman

Quote from: Jim Bronson on August 17, 2019, 01:57:08 PM
Lately I've begun noticing some slight footboard vibrations in my 2015 RK. The bars don't vibrate, only the footboards. Think tingly sensation. Today I tightened the heat shield clamps, and a few were somewhat loose. Are there any other items that may come loose and cause this problem? I won't be riding for a day or two, so I'd like to eliminate any obvious causes that I can easily fix. The motor mounts look OK from what my untrained eye can see.

Thanks.
Well I not a expert but I start with loose motor mounts , things of that nature ,assuming your motor does not have crank run out problems , bad tires , loose bolts . I replacing a clutch hub now that seems to have excessive clearance between the input shaft and the clutch hub . I thought that might be a problem that could lead to other problems such as vibration or damage to bearings ect 

Jim Bronson

I'll check the motor mount bolts next. I recently replaced the front tire, so I can rule that out.

jamminhd2000

Check to make sure floorboard support is not rubbing on exhaust....jimmy

Jim Bronson

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on August 18, 2019, 05:00:48 PM
Check to make sure floorboard support is not rubbing on exhaust....jimmy
Thanks for the tip. The heat shield is pretty close to the footboard support, but it doesn't look like it is rubbing against it. Tomorrow when the light is better, I'll check for any rub marks.

However, I may have found the problem. I can only inspect the right mount without removing the kick stand, but I can clearly see that the mount is not centered in the end cap. I would guess the left one is the same way.  This probably happened because the mount bolt loosened and let the engine move to the rear until the mount hit the frame. It needs to be perfectly centered to prevent the mount from rubbing against the frame. On the right one, there is no gap in the rear and double the specified gap in the front (The mount is against the frame.) The footboards mount to the frame in the same location. It will take two people to fix it (one to hold the engine forward and another to tighten the bolts).

kd

It will take two people to fix it (one to hold the engine forward and another to tighten the bolts).

Or some wooden wedges .....   :wink:
KD

topcat3815

I have the same situation with the right mount on my 14 flhtk. I tried everything to center the right mount and nothing worked. On the 14 and later bikes the left front and right rear power train mounts are fixed and the right front and left rear are removable. There is really no adjustment. The whole power train is rubber mounted and moves in the chassis. I took a small pry par and pushed forward on the rear mount and easily centered the front, but it moved back when I released the pry bar. Then I jacked up the rear tire off the ground and the front mount centered perfectly. With the rear up and the shocks unloaded the front mounts are centered. I think the problem is the lean of the shocks exerts rear pressure on the rubber mounts moving them back. I went to the local Harley store and checked several bikes new and used and most of them had the front mount off center. I did check my left front and it was centered so then I installed new front motor mounts and they didn't help. I did all of this because I had some floorboard vibration, but as I have put more miles on my bike they have smoothed out. Hope this helps

SixShooter14

though my bike is a different generation, I have a vibration through my brake pedal that I can feel in the right floorboard. Something worth checking.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Jim Bronson

Thanks for the info topcat. I haven't had mine apart, but according to the SM instructions, both the left and right front mounts can be adjusted fore and aft by moving the engine with the mount bolts loosened. To replace the mounts, the right end cap must be removed and the engine mount bracket  bolts removed (along with the footboard, brake master cylinder, etc) so the mounts and bracket can be removed as a unit from the right side. The left side end cap is welded to the frame, but the snubber can still move fore and aft to center in the end cap. That's what I plan to do as soon as I get motivated and by ailing back lets me. I don't know why new bikes would have the snubbers off center, as they can't move as long as the mounting bolts are tight (50 ft lbs).

Boe Cole

Last time i had a vibration in a floorboard, found that the bolt holding it on was loose.  My bad for not tightening it up properly after being in the cam chest.  Hopefully you've checked for loose bolts already.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Jim Bronson

Thanks for the tip. I did check the footboard bolts and every other bolt that I could check with the bike on the ground. The next step is to align the mounts.

D.W.

Have you considered that your floorboard inserts may be giving up the ghost?

Jim Bronson

I replaced the inserts with fancy ones about two years ago when my sister sent me a gift card, so I'm pretty sure they're OK.

For some strange reason, the vibrations have stopped. I'm glad Harleys are self-repairing bikes.

Thanks.

Hossamania

Quote from: Jim Bronson on August 27, 2019, 12:05:13 PM

For some strange reason, the vibrations have stopped. I'm glad Harleys are self-repairing bikes.

Thanks.

My fuel gauge was the same way. Had a rattle that cured itself as well. (Pretty sure whatever it was fell off. Must not have been important.)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

I almost forgot. I did tighten the heat shields. Maybe that was the problem.