Engine, transmission and primary oil change notes for M8

Started by Xyzzy, September 08, 2016, 06:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTTJGlide

If you're using a K&N or other with a nut on the end try cutting the bottom out of a 2lt soda container & slide that in as far as it will go. Use an extension & 17mm socket on your ratchet & I usually get almost all of the oil contained in that, dispose of filter & container.

Xyzzy

Quote from: Xyzzy on January 12, 2017, 12:53:28 PM
The "new overpriced official orange drain thingy" is worthless. I get less mess using my aluminum foil "form-a-trough" method.

I did my 25,000 mile service today. Everything looked fine. I finally figured out how to use the expensive orange drain thingy. You have to push it in against the engine case as you unscrew the filter. You still get a few drops of mess but not much. I whack a hole in the filter and pre-drain the filter first as much as I can. The picture below shows the funnel in place with the filter removed, so you can get an idea of how it fits.

I'm getting tired of doing oil changes. I sure wish the interval was 10,000 miles!

Ken R

Quote from: Xyzzy on February 21, 2017, 05:42:05 PM
Quote from: Xyzzy on January 12, 2017, 12:53:28 PM
The "new overpriced official orange drain thingy" is worthless. I get less mess using my aluminum foil "form-a-trough" method.

I did my 25,000 mile service today. Everything looked fine. I finally figured out how to use the expensive orange drain thingy. You have to push it in against the engine case as you unscrew the filter. You still get a few drops of mess but not much. I whack a hole in the filter and pre-drain the filter first as much as I can. The picture below shows the funnel in place with the filter removed, so you can get an idea of how it fits.

I'm getting tired of doing oil changes. I sure wish the interval was 10,000 miles!

I hate dribbling oil every time I change a filter.  I do a lot of oil and filter changes for friends.  Pain in the neck and a lot of brake or carb cleaner to clean the mess.   I've taken to stuffing shop paper towels under the filter carton flattened and turned into a trough and can actually be oil-drip free.  But not often.   I do like your idea of whacking a hold in the end of the filter before unscrewing it.  I threw away the orange Harley trough in frustration.  It isn't long enough and the little black tube falls off trying to get it up into place.  Grrrrr! :crook:

Xyzzy

Ken R

Quote from: Xyzzy on June 02, 2017, 08:54:49 PM
I am thinking of trying this:

https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B003V9JWHO/

I have 31,000 miles on '17 SGS #1 and 15,000 miles on '17 SGS #2.

:oil:
Let us know if it works.  I read the 1, 2, and 3* reviews.  They weren't encouraging.

Xyzzy

I'm up to my 19th oil change on the M8. I have altered a few things over time.

I check the transmission for migrating (lost) oil every 5,000 miles.
I run Formula+ in the transmission and primary just in case the oil migrates.
I change (and measure) the primary oil every 5,000 miles.
My initial oil amount added on an oil change is now 4 quarts and 8 ounces.
I stuff rags under the orange oil change scoop thingie and I no longer have any mess. I have attached a picture.

YMMV

Edit: 19, not 16. I forgot the 1,000 mile services.

hd02us

I assume you are talking all fluid changes in that 19 number. How often do you change engine oil? Impressive 25,000 miles in less than a year.

Xyzzy

I change the oil every 5,000 miles.

I've had three M8 bikes so far with 67,500 miles total.

After looking at my notes, it is 16 oil changes, not 19.

#1 = 1 5 10 15 20 25 30
#2 = 1 5 10 15 20
#3 = 1 5 10 15

Moparnut72

September 21, 2017, 07:41:28 AM #33 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:32:55 PM by Moparnut72
Holy cow, when do you sleep?   :bike:
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

lonegoosehonking

Hell I am envious of the ride time. Since you have 67.5 k miles riding and you do your own services have you seen any oil transfer from
Transmission to Primary?

Xyzzy

Quote from: lonegoosehonking on September 21, 2017, 09:45:37 AM
Since you have 67.5 k miles riding and you do your own services have you seen any oil transfer from
Transmission to Primary?

Bike #1: I didn't know about the problem and never noticed anything weird.

Bike #2: I noticed a little transfer because I used gear oil in the transmission and the used primary oil smelled like gear oil. I think maybe a few ounces transferred.

Bike #3: (Current bike) It hasn't transferred any yet.

Note: I ride very conservatively. I just "tour" and pile up the miles, while enjoying the scenery. I programmed my SE tuner to have a RPM limit of 4,000. I have a SE stage 1 on the bike. I use cruise control 99% of the time, even around town. I never use sixth gear. I spend the vast majority of my time at 65 MPH which is 3,020 RPM. The engine is very happy there. I might use sixth gear at 80 MPH but I haven't ridden anywhere that is legal. I've done extended running at 70 MPH (3250 RPM) and 75 MPH (3480 RPM). It's my understanding that the transfer issue is related to high-RPM operation. I don't think I'm near that point. FWIW, I'm averaging 44.27 MPG. (15595 miles using 352.301 gallons.)

YMMV

dakota224

Pop a hole in the oil filter with a NAIL.. let drain, then remove,, no mess.. (pulling the dipstick helps drain faster)

lonegoosehonking

Quote from: Xyzzy on September 21, 2017, 04:06:20 PM
Since you have 67.5 k miles riding and you do your own services have you seen any oil transfer from
Transmission to Primary?

Bike #2: I noticed a little transfer because I used gear oil in the transmission and the used primary oil smelled like gear oil. I think maybe a few ounces transferred.

Note: I ride very conservatively. I just "tour" and pile up the miles, while enjoying the scenery. I programmed my SE tuner to have a RPM limit of 4,000. I have a SE stage 1 on the bike. I use cruise control 99% of the time, even around town. I never use sixth gear. I spend the vast majority of my time at 65 MPH which is 3,020 RPM. The engine is very happy there. I might use sixth gear at 80 MPH but I haven't ridden anywhere that is legal. I've done extended running at 70 MPH (3250 RPM) and 75 MPH (3480 RPM). It's my understanding that the transfer issue is related to high-RPM operation. I don't think I'm near that point. FWIW, I'm averaging 44.27 MPG. (15595 miles using 352.301 gallons.)

YMMV

Thanks for the input. Great information.

PoorUB

Quote from: Xyzzy on September 21, 2017, 04:06:20 PMI don't think I'm near that point. FWIW, I'm averaging 44.27 MPG. (15595 miles using 352.301 gallons.)

YMMV

So your Road King gets 44 MPG versus 50+ with your Road Glide?

My 2016 Limited is averaging a bit over 40 MPG with around 9,000 miles tracked. I will run 80 MPH or more at times. I have gotten 48 MPG with it a few times. It is not stock, gutted head pipe, Fulsac recore kits, TTS and my street tune.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Xyzzy

Quote from: PoorUB on September 21, 2017, 05:42:50 PM

So your Road King gets 44 MPG versus 50+ with your Road Glide?

I'm measuring it by hand and not going by the computer. (The RK doesn't display MPG.)

I've also changed my riding habits a lot over the last year. I spend a lot more time on the highway. Back when I had the RGS I rode 55 MPH back roads mostly. And I also used sixth gear.

I think the advertised (IIRC) 45 MPG is pretty accurate.

When I first got my RGS (My first H-D) I thought 200 miles was a long ride. Now I do 1,000 mile rides in less than 24 hours frequently. (16 this year so far.)

Hossamania

I'll admit, I'm a little jealous of your riding schedule.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Xyzzy

I don't watch TV or do Facebook, so that frees up a lot of time.

I also very rarely drive a car. I sold my Corvette recently so now my wife just has her SUV, which I detest.

My son went away to (resident) high school this year (ASMSA) so my responsibilities are much reduced.

Finally, my wife understands that my riding time is my personal time, so she is okay with it. She has no interest in going along with me so that works out well.

I think one secret to maintaining a good relationship is to not spend every minute together. That, and having separate bank accounts.

:up:

Hossamania

Well, with those kinds of miles, she knows you have no time for an affair.

Scooterfish

Oh he is having an affair.  A two wheeled mistress kind. :SM:
Northern Indiana

IronButt70

Quote from: Xyzzy on September 21, 2017, 04:06:20 PM
Transmission to Primary?

YMMV
Just curious as to why you never use 6th gear?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

hd02us

:missed:what state do you live in. Just curious. Stock exhaust?

Xyzzy

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 22, 2017, 07:49:25 AM
Just curious as to why you never use 6th gear?
A couple of reasons:

1 - The MPG is reasonable.
2 - The engine seems like it likes to be at or around 3K RPM. In 6th gear it feels very lethargic to me.
3 - I can coast through small towns at 45 MPH (2090 RPM) and cruise on the interstate at 70 MPH (3250 RPM) without having to shift.
4 - As the wind resistance gets higher as the bike goes faster, the engine power increases to match.
5 - Peak torque is at 3250 RPM so both 70 MPH (5th) and 80 MPH (6th, if I need to go that fast) are right there at the peak.

I don't think I am wearing the engine out prematurely. I posted a thread on this when I got my first HD: http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=88299

On my last two HDs I used 6th a lot to see if I liked it and it didn't "do it" for me.

If I'm wrong doing what I am doing I am willing to change. I like to learn new stuff.

Quote from: hd02us on September 22, 2017, 11:54:59 AM
what state do you live in.
Arkansas

Quote from: hd02us on September 22, 2017, 11:54:59 AM
Stock exhaust?
SE Street Cannons

Hossamania

I don't think you are doing anything wrong running 5th gear, the motor is just fine. Pretty happy actually.
Setting your limiter to 4000 rpm's also doesn't hurt anything, but it isn't really necessary, as you don't go past it anyway. Leaving it at the stock setting would not hurt anything, the motor is made to go to there, and those extra rpm's would be available to you should you need them. Unlikely, but you never know.

twincamzz

I'd like to thank Xyzzy for taking the time to post such detailed information...been following this thread since day one.
not all who wander are lost...

lucasg