Info for conversion from carburetion to EFI on 2002 FLH

Started by klammer76, December 23, 2018, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

December 23, 2018, 04:43:39 PM Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:49:09 PM by klammer76
I received a few inquires about what was involved regarding a conversion from carburetion to delphi efi on my 2002 FLHTC, 103". I thought about doing this for several years and slowly collected parts over the years. I received good advise from Members here as well as some parts. I studied the parts manual many times and determined what I needed. After retiring this summer, I had a warm place offered to me to work on my bike this winter and made the conversion. It was really straight forward.

My bike does not have a security system. It has a TSM not a TSSM. A security system bike with a TSSM may require a vin relearn if installing a new ecm. If buying a new ecm, I would inquire if it is mated to a TSSM security module.  The conversion is a very straight forward, easy job and not real expensive if you are patient and shop around for parts. ebay and some cycle salvage places were used for some of the parts. I traded parts for a 51mm HPI throttle body with a Member here also. Be patient and you can find things reasonable. I also contacted a couple of salvage places directly. The conversion would be the cheapest to do on 2003 to 2005 as they use a common fuel tank (carb & efi). Carb just has a float under the canopy, efi has the fuel pump/float. 2002 uses a carb specific tank from the factory so an efi tank is required. I believe that canbus started in 2004 and have been told a a new speedometer may be required. I also think that with 2004 & 2005 bikes, the ignition harness appears to be part of the main harness. 2002, 2003 the ignition harness is a sub harness and unplugs from the main harness. 2002 to 2006 are open loop systems (no O2 sensors), 2007 up are closed loop (O2 sensors).

Parts required for 2002 - 2003 FLH or FLT conversion:

EFI ignition harness
ECM
Low fuel light sender module
Fuel pump (complete)
Wire harness from fuel pump to connector
Coil for EFI model bike
Throttle body w/fuel rail, sensors (IAC, Air Temp, Throttle position, MAP and head temp sensor)
Top motor mount (for efi model)
Injectors
EFI tank check valve/hose to fuel rail
EFI fuel tank (2002 only)
Tuning device of your choice
Dyno Tune

Throttle body is your choice depending on your build, same for injectors. For my 103" I'm starting out with the oem 4.3 gps white band injectors. Dyno tune will tell if I need bigger.

I have nothing against carburetion. Served me well for 38 years (had a bad experience with a 1999 MM bike and said never again). The delphi system seems to be tried and true (I did keep my carb parts also). Reasons I converted were I want the tuning ability that efi offers, and I need to retain cruise control due to some hand issues that will just get worse with time. Hard to find a bigger carb that has the cruise control feature. My bike fired right up after the conversion. Next step is to get it tuned when it gets warmer.

Hope this helps anyone that is considering a conversion.

klammer

1FSTRK

:up: :up:
Great post. As you said nothing wrong with a carb/ignition set up but there is nothing like a well tuned EFI system.
Thanks for posting
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

klammer76

December 24, 2018, 09:16:04 AM #3 Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:26:23 AM by klammer76
A correction to my original post regarding ignition harness' for 2004, 2005 FLH models:

I got thinking and looking at parts lists and wiring diagrams last night for the 04,05 models. The ignition harness is still a sub harness that plugs/unplugs from the main harness. The part number for 2004 to 2005 efi ignition harness is 70233-04. The difference between the 2004, 2005 harness and the 2002, 2003 harness is the addition of a speed sensor plug. So, if doing a 2002, 2003 model, you would need to make sure you use a 2002 ignition harness. If doing 2004, 2005 model you would use the 2004 ignition harness (as both carb and efi models had a speed sensor plug integrated into the ignition harness') and should have no issue, plug & play. I believe this is where canbus started to come into play (2004). Vic Chichester lives close to my girlfriend. I was talking to him about efi one day and he pointed out that there could be an issue with the speedometer reading on some earlier models if using a later set up, this I believe is what he was referring to. The ECM part number appears to be the same through the years 2002 up.

2006 OEM (46mm) throttle bodies, sensors, fuel rail & injectors are different than 2002-2005 (44mm). 2006 & 2007 cable driven are the same. 2008 started throttle by wire.

2006, 2007 throttle body/injectors can be used on earlier models if using the connector kit from Zippers where you install new style connectors for the later sensors to the earlier ignition harness. This is helpful if you want to use a 50mm Screamin Eagle TB. Also looks like a 2006-2007 stock oem TB can be bored bigger than the earlier 2002-2005 TB's.

2007 wire harness is completely different from the earlier 2002-2005 models. 

I just wanted to clear up any confusion I may have put out. If doing a conversion, consultation of the parts book and wiring diagrams should be done. I do have part numbers if needed. If anyone sees incorrect information here, feel free to correct. Again, this is for FLH/FLT models. I have not looked at others such as Dyna and Softail models.

Bagger

Awesome to hear conversion is completed and operable  :chop: