April 26, 2024, 02:03:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Piston to valve clearance

Started by jrgreene1968, June 05, 2019, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrgreene1968

Can the spring be removed and cup flipped on a hydraulic lifter, to simulate a solid lifter , for checking piston to valve clearance? Seems like I read that but can't find the thread.
I had a set of solid lifters I kept for checking, and I loaned them out, but they never came back :banghead:

ghostrider

I just clean the unit of all oil, then compress the hydraulic unit all the way so its acting like a solid.  Your only turning the motor over a few times by hand right?

Don D

Yes just take the guts out and leave the pushrod seat

jrgreene1968

Thank u sir, the heads are due to arrive today, hoping to get it back together before the weekend  :up:

jjdalynh

I keep a set of 'solid' checking lifters.  take the guts out of a pair of old ones that still have a good roller, stack it full of washers and put the cup and retainer back in.  then you won't have to adjust the pushrods out so much and empty the oil from the ones you intend to use.

Don D

If pulling the springs is an option it is a lot safer to put collars on the valves at the TDC opening point, invert the head, put the barrel on over the dowels (no HG), and just put the piston clayed up down the hole. No risk of bent valves.

jrgreene1968

I called the guy that borrowed my test lifters and he brought them back  :SM:
Got it back together and fired up.. sounds good, quiet valve train. Only rode it up the highway and back to check for leaks etc.
thanks again for the head work Don.. they looked great, can't wait to twist it