April 25, 2024, 11:06:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

adjustable push rod adjustments

Started by chas, April 03, 2019, 03:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi All- I attempted to adjust adjustable push rods, and not sure if I did it correctly. Should I adjust them until they are tight? Then turn another 3 turns? I was going for when they seem to stop moving ,but it seemed like it could go on for awhile! Have I gone too far? I can still turn them but they are not what I would call loose. Do I need to go further? I'm afraid of going too far and the valve getting hit by the piston! Need some advice,and thanks in advance

jrgreene1968

What brand pushrods are you using? The number of threads per inch denotes the number of turns. As far as 0 lash.. use your fingers to turn pushrods out till they are snug using only fingers.. that's 0, then count your turns from there.
Be absolutely sure your on the base circle

kd

April 03, 2019, 04:55:44 PM #2 Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:29:07 PM by kd
The base circle point for each cylinder is top dead center on compression.  Both lifters will be at their lowest point and the piston will be at it's highest.  You can see and feel the lifters as you gently roll the engine over.  A plastic straw in the spark plug hole will allow you to detect the top of the piston travel visually.  On that cylinder, you adjust both lifters as described by jrgreene.  It is important you know the threads per inch and how many turns or flats you make to get your depth.    After you complete the adjustment it is imperative that you leave them to bleed down and not turn over the engine until that has happened.  You can cause valve damage if you do this too soon.  Some say wait 30 minutes.  I'm more patient and may find something to do for a couple of hours or so.  Set the next cylinder up like you just did and follow the same process. 

Instructions are available on the S&S or Smith Brothers site. S&S has a thread per inch chart with number of flats or turns figured out for you.   

Added later:

Just in case you have gone too far, back all the pushrods off until they are loose before you turn the engine over.  It is possible to bend a valve with pushrods that are over adjusted.
KD

les

Quote from: chas on April 03, 2019, 03:17:05 PM
Hi All- I attempted to adjust adjustable push rods, and not sure if I did it correctly. Should I adjust them until they are tight? Then turn another 3 turns? I was going for when they seem to stop moving ,but it seemed like it could go on for awhile! Have I gone too far? I can still turn them but they are not what I would call loose. Do I need to go further? I'm afraid of going too far and the valve getting hit by the piston! Need some advice,and thanks in advance

I'm thinking you've gone too far.  To find zero lash, just use your fingers to lengthen the pushrod until it no longer wobbles in the cups up top (rockers) and bottom lifters.  Don't keep turning them by hand after that.  Then use the wrenches the proper amount of turns.

chas

I'm thinking I went too far also. When i back them off to where i think i should be and turn them 3 turns will the lifters come back up because the rod has released them?

kd

Back them right away from contact and start over.  Be sure that the lifter you're adjusting is all the way down by setting each cylinder as I described and continue on as described.  If you have already tried to adjust a lifter the oil (if any) will have been forced out. That's OK and the lifter will still adjust.  It will however be harder to tell when you finger them to 0 lash because they will collapse easier.
KD

chas

ok thanks KD I will back them down and start again! It was tough telling where 0 lash was on the first try, and its probably going to be even harder now!

kd

Go slow and use your eyes.  At zero lash the side shake stops and you can adjust from there. Being a few flats tighter is OK and usually preferred by some.
KD

chas

the side shaking is a good tip!, I think i saw that in a vid. I will try that. Thanks in advance KD

les

Quote from: chas on April 03, 2019, 08:34:52 PM
ok thanks KD I will back them down and start again! It was tough telling where 0 lash was on the first try, and its probably going to be even harder now!

Yes, you are right on that it might be harder to find zero lash now.  But understand that your fingers are strong enough to go beyond zero lash.  Once you've got that concept, you'll do better at finding zero lash.  I've done new lifters that it was very hard to find zero lash.  Again, it's easy to go too far.  As mentioned, go only until you get no side to side (what I called wobble).

rigidthumper

Lifters that are empty, or with lightweight oil can be bottomed out with finger tension.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Langwilliams

I replied to this but something happened an it didn't post....I installed S.E. tapered adj push rods last week an the directions said 2.5 turns after you get them finger tight. I bought a cheap oil can an put some 20w50 in it an put it up to the oil hole in the lifter an filled the lifters before installing them. I don't know if it's required or what but some videos on line showed people doing it an the pump can was only 4 bucks an I'll keep it for when I'm drilling an need to oil the bit.

Chippitt68

Me too. I pump oil in until it comes out the pushrod cup.

black

Quote from: kd on April 03, 2019, 09:09:24 PM
Go slow and use your eyes.  At zero lash the side shake stops and you can adjust from there. Being a few flats tighter is OK and usually preferred by some.
Setting them a couple flats past center is a good thing
send  lawyers guns and money