April 26, 2024, 07:15:51 AM

News:

Normal noise from primary after upgrades?

Started by Mick0311, February 14, 2019, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick0311

At this point, I don't think the race is an issue.
I was able to press the hub a little more into the shell. That should give me the clearance now.
That brings up the issue (if there is one) of the gap between the bearing and the snap ring.   :nix:
2015 Road Glide Special

Coyote

JMHD

Is it possible that the inner clutch hub is a 2011 and earlier? they changed the inner hub bearing to a thinner one in 2011 1/2 as well as the inner hub. it sounds like the hub is an early style. I have had to get a new cir-clip groove machined in this case before to make the different styles work. My problem was a 2011 and earlier outer (thick bearing) with a 2011 later inner hub ( thin bearing) , yours might be the other way around. I will try and attach a picture, it shows no groove exposed , yours ( cir-clip groove) would be above the bearing if i am thinking correctly. Hope this helps.

JMHD

Just realized Ohio HD posted a link to the same idea on page 1. :embarrassed:

Mick0311

It's the hub that Bandit supplies with their clutches.
2015 Road Glide Special

Mick0311

Here is a side by side of the hub. Bandit on the left and stock on the right.
Big difference in where the ring groove is.

Also, there isn't room in the shell for a thicker bearing (referenced earlier) unless you were to cut a new ring groove.
2015 Road Glide Special

JMHD

You could either get a new earlier style outer hub and earlier thicker bearing or get another snap ring groove cut in the bandit inner hub that you have. Getting the new groove cut would be the cheapest option.

Mick0311

I guess I had hoped that Bandit would have taken into consideration where the ring groove needs to be. 
I do have an email out to them.
2015 Road Glide Special

jamminhd2000

Quote from: Coyote on February 17, 2019, 11:13:05 AM
Push the race on until there is just enough room left to get the removal tool behind it. 1/8" or so I'd guess but I just use the removal tool as a guide when I press them on. It's not real critical though.

I think the spec is .100...Jimmy

kd

Call Bandit.  They offer a non HD bearing for the 2011 that you can buy at a jobber instead of the MOCO.  You need the hub to matchup.  You may have the wrong parts combination.
KD

kd

After thinking back, I believe it was the EVO Industries parts that I had with the bearing upgrade. Bandit may however be using their parts (I think Barnett does too).  Either way, confirming from Bandit what you purchased will answer that question.  They are very helpful.
KD

Mick0311

John from Bandit replied back. He said there should be 2 ring grooves on the hub. One for the newer bearing and one for the older wider one.

Brought the clutch to work today and used a "real" press. Sure enough, found the 2nd groove.  :embarrassed:
2015 Road Glide Special

kd

KD

Ohio HD

That would do it!

So will the two sprockets now be out of alignment?

Mick0311

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 18, 2019, 08:33:03 AM
That would do it!

Everything should line up as stock. I'll know for sure when I get home and install this.
2015 Road Glide Special

Ohio HD

Quote from: Mick0311 on February 18, 2019, 10:55:08 AM
That would do it!

Everything should line up as stock. I'll know for sure when I get home and install this.

I ask because you said they were aligned when I asked before. So now you moved the hub on the bearing.  sooo...        :idunno:

Mick0311

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 18, 2019, 10:58:57 AM
That would do it!

I ask because you said they were aligned when I asked before. So now you moved the hub on the bearing.  sooo...        :idunno:

I ended up pushing the hub in just the thickness of the second ring groove.
2015 Road Glide Special

Ohio HD

Quote from: Mick0311 on February 18, 2019, 01:54:10 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 18, 2019, 10:58:57 AM
That would do it!

I ended up pushing the hub in just the thickness of the second ring groove.

That's about 0.060" ? I'd check the sprocket alignment.

Mick0311

After getting a ride in finally, I'm happy with the results overall for the short time I've rifdden.

Pros: No more clunky shifts into first gear, easier start when cold

Cons: Whirring noise from primary, clutch engagement moved out towards the ends of the throw
2015 Road Glide Special

koko3052

I'd say the whirring is from different sprocket/chain/adjuster alignment.....0.060"...???
I'm presuming that you readjusted the clutch after moving the bearing?

Mick0311

I had to readjust the clutch since it was taken apart. Bandit calls out for no more than .010 runout on the pressure plate.
2015 Road Glide Special

hogpipes1

Good that it is running great.What amt of pri oil did you use?

Mick0311

Quote from: hogpipes1 on February 21, 2019, 05:49:37 PM
Good that it is running great.What amt of pri oil did you use?

Picked 20 ounces to go in the primary.
2015 Road Glide Special

Mick0311

Had time today to dig back into the primary. Double checked the sprocket alignment and it's square.
But what I did learn is there are timing marks that need to be matched up on the hub and pressure plate.
Just another critical instruction among others left off their work instructions.   :banghead:

In the process of reinstalling the pressure plate I managed to break off a 1/4-20 socket head.
Now I have to dig the remnants out. :angry:
2015 Road Glide Special