April 26, 2024, 02:28:20 PM

News:

Motor mount vibrations

Started by rking1550, June 01, 2019, 08:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rking1550

I know there's a thread going on this already, I did ask a question or two, but don't want to hi-jack the thread..

01 roadking, vibration started this spring after a new motor mount over the winter.  Was very very bad, now just very bad. Lol
Mostly off idle 12-1400 rpms. It was mentioned bad vibs usually mount or flywheels. I've got S&S flywheels, and no previous issues with vibration. So I'm thinking the new mount.
But if it was the flywheel,  I have gear drive cams, would I be getting loud or strange noises from the cam chest ?
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

twincam8888

What type of motor mount did you install.  Some aftermarket ones do vibrate more and the Harley -D part is a little stiffer than previous versions but I am told they eventually smooth out. If you fly wheels were out enough to shake the bike I would think your cams gears would let you know quickly. Might check your top motor mount to be sure it is secure.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

rking1550

Quote from: twincam8888 on June 01, 2019, 08:56:36 AM
What type of motor mount did you install.  Some aftermarket ones do vibrate more and the Harley -D part is a little stiffer than previous versions but I am told they eventually smooth out. If you fly wheels were out enough to shake the bike I would think your cams gears would let you know quickly. Might check your top motor mount to be sure it is secure.

Not sure who's mount, not one tho.
Bikers choice maybe ???

Will check top mount tho, haven't done that.

Y2KRKNG

Back the ny-lock nut on the bottom of front motor mount way off and see if the vibration is still there.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

rking1550

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on June 04, 2019, 10:57:30 PM
Back the ny-lock nut on the bottom of front motor mount way off and see if the vibration is still there.

Haven't tried that, but now I will.
Idle isnt bad I idle at 1050 ~rpm, I do have a tach on the bike. , it's just off idle say 1150- 1500 rpms.

trex

bobrk1

Let  us  know  if  you  find  problem  I  parked  my  12 ultra  when  I  went  for  first  ride  next  spring  when  I  slowed  down  felt  like  I  ran  over  a  rumble  strip  got off checked  for  a  flat. Turned out  was  bad motor  mount , was  fine  when  I  parked  it , next  time  was  bad. Went bad that  fast .

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: bobrk1 on June 18, 2019, 05:57:41 AM
Let  us  know  if  you  find  problem  I  parked  my  12 ultra  when  I  went  for  first  ride  next  spring  when  I  slowed  down  felt  like  I  ran  over  a  rumble  strip  got off checked  for  a  flat. Turned out  was  bad motor  mount , was  fine  when  I  parked  it , next  time  was  bad. Went bad that  fast .

I wonder if Bias-ply tires get flat spots when park all Winter.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Hossamania

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on July 11, 2019, 06:39:59 AM
Quote from: bobrk1 on June 18, 2019, 05:57:41 AM

I wonder if Bias-ply tires get flat spots when park all Winter.

Mine do. Not horrible, but my bike definitely has more vibrations first ride of the spring until everything gets up to operating temperature for a while.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

One4Tone

...speaking of tires..check air pressure...set them to specs...it can make a world of difference...