April 26, 2024, 06:18:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New to me 2013 Switchback FLD

Started by dubepj, June 05, 2019, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Just got this bike with only 7800 miles on it. Bike has a Vance& Hines slip on muffler and a high flow air cleaner. In the saddlebag there was Vance & Hines Fuelpak tuner. I'm assuming that it was hooked up to tune the bike after the muffler and air cleaner were installed. Was told all this done at a dealership.
I believe that the cat is still in the head pipe.
If I drill out the cat will there be good or bad repercussions.
Just hoping to cut down some heat.
Thanks.

jelildude

Good repercussions, but may need to autotune your map again.

dubepj

thanks jelildude for your answer.  I'm new to fuel injected bikes.  I've owned lots of carbed bikes but now this is a new game for me. the fuel pack instructions says I have to hook up through Blue tooth to my cell phone.  Can't  i just plug this into the bike and it will do it's thing without all the BS of going through my cell phone.  Thanks

dubepj

One more question about gutting my CC.  Could I just drill a large hole (about 1 1/2 in.) through center of the cat guts.  If there is some guts remaining what will it hurt?  Thanks everyone.

Chippitt68

I considered that when I wanted to do mine. I cut a 'door' around the cat and cleaned it all out. Paid $30 to have it welded back on. I used an angle grinder with a thin blade. The less metal you remove, the less welding.

PoorUB

I have done a couple cat removals. My preferred way to to scribe a couple horizontal lines in the exhaust to locate the two halves later, then sawz-all the head pipe in two pieces, front to back. Rip out the old cat and weld the two halves of the head pipe back to gather.

But, yes, it should be re-tuned.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Langwilliams

I was thinking about the drilling a few large holes through the cat thing an I hear/read the remaining material would still retain heat. Some drill with a paddle bit an grind it around to get most of it out. It isn't easy an takes a few hours so you probably come out ahead cutting access an taking it to a muffler shop to be welded back shut.

kd

When / after removing the cat material take the time to extend the separation between the 2 head pipes where they meet the cat chamber.  There are reports of cross talk between both O2 sensors that can adversely effect the tuning. A separator plate that extends the distance between the two that the gasses have to travel prevents the cross talk.
KD

Hossamania

I'm not exactly sure on the fuel pak, but I think it goes thru your phone to load the map and make changes. Once something is changed (the cat removed), that needs to be noted in the programming to change the map, it doesn't just automatically adjust. Is there a USB port on it to download from a PC? If so, you may not need the phone. All the kids love it because it runs through their phone, which is always in their hand or on the handlebars.
If you really want it to be done right, ditch the FP, take it to a tuner, and have it Dyno tuned with a better tuning unit, Power Vision, TTS, etc.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

remington007

A fuelpak has no provision to link to a PC. The unit plugs into your data link and it bluetooth's to your phone or tablet to load/download.

PoorUB

Quote from: Langwilliams on June 06, 2019, 08:16:41 PM
I was thinking about the drilling a few large holes through the cat thing an I hear/read the remaining material would still retain heat. Some drill with a paddle bit an grind it around to get most of it out. It isn't easy an takes a few hours so you probably come out ahead cutting access an taking it to a muffler shop to be welded back shut.

I have done it in 1-1/2 hours on a bagger, including R&R the exhaust. About an hour to cut the pipe in half, gut it, and weld it back up. If it tales you much more than 2 hours or so, you are drinking too much beer!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Langwilliams

I like the idea of a divider to separate the exhaust until after the o2 sensors. Some have had the cross talk issue an some say their bikes ran great an made great power. I had a fuel pak 3 on my '15 slim an it was easy to use. they are constantly updates an upgrading the app. They added a map for the stock exhaust with the cat removed for the touring bikes so it's probably an option for the switchback. Put the app on your phone an go through the demo. It's easy an convenient to use. The only down side is most turners don't like to dyno tune with it.